Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Hello,
there is a cloze exercise made from this text:
Surfing in Cornwall: The family that hangs ten together... (Google it please, it seems I cannot post links)
(cloze menas that some of the words are removed and you need to insert the correct ones)

And here I have a few questions:
1. Despite we live just a few miles from the coast, my brother Will and I never did the whole beach thing when we were younger.

The correct answer here is although and I know the rule "despite + clause", but can "the fact that" be omitted?

2. Boards are strapped to the roof, beach towels, wet suits and warm jumpers flung into the boot, and we’re close to north Devon.

The correct answers here are: off, driving, coming, going, travelling, headed. But what do you think about the above solution? Is it logically correct?

3. But over the past five years Britain’s surf scene has become less intimidating for everyone of us who can’t ride grinding barrels.

Here it is correct to use ALL or THOSE. But how sounds everyone to you? I believe it is correct.

4. They want to kill the stresses and strains, and lose their pastiness.

Here the correct answers are: eliminate, avoid, diminish, overcome, ease, lessen, combat etc. but what do you think about kill? Don't we say "to kill stress"? I had in mind that you can kill pain, but can you also kill the stresses?

So, I need to know whether the above sentences are logically correct or not. Thanks for answering!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
1. Despite we live just a few miles from the coast, ...
Despite (our) living ...
Despite the fact that we lived...
You cannoy omit 'the fact that' here.

2. Boards are strapped to the roof, beach towels, wet suits and warm jumpers flung into the boot, and we’re close to north Devon.

The correct answers here are: off, driving, coming, going, travelling, headed. But what do you think about the above solution? Is it logically correct?
It's not impossible, but it's rather unlikely.

3. But over the past five years Britain’s surf scene has become less intimidating for everyone of us who can’t ride grinding barrels.

Here it is correct to use ALL or THOSE. But how does [STRIKE]sounds[/STRIKE] sound everyone to you? I believe it is correct. As two separate words, it is just about possible.

4. They want to kill the stresses and strains, and lose their pastiness.

Here the correct answers are: eliminate, avoid, diminish, overcome, ease, lessen, combat etc. but what do you think about kill? Don't we say "to kill stress"? I had in mind that you can kill pain, but can you also kill the stresses? It does not sound natural.

It seems to me that you have reached that awkward stage in learning the language when a'feel for the language' becomes as important as what you have learnt in the classroom and from the grammar book and dictionary. It can be very frustrating, but you will get through it.

Status
Not open for further replies.