• Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

blip

Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to give me your considered opinion concerning the usage of the expression in bold in the following sentence?

I could abandon this entire world as a failure and move on to a tenth planet. I could work to forget this whole experience. Earth could be just a short blip in my otherwise spotless record.

blip = a temporary or insignificant phenomenon, especially a brief departure from the normal

V.
    Last edited by vil; 24-Jul-2011 at 11:17.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: blip

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to give me your considered opinion concerning the usage of the expression in bold in the following sentence?

I could abandon this entire world as a failure and move on to a tenth planet. I could work to forget this whole experience. Earth could be just a short blip in my otherwise spotless record.

blip = a temporary or insignificant phenomenon, especially a brief departure from the normal

V.
    Absolutely right.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    Absolutely right.
    Unsurprisingly so. blip - definition of blip by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

I must admit that I have often wondered about vil's use of the phrase "my interpretation of the meaning of" when what follows the word looks alarmingly like a cut and pasted dictionary definition.

I have given him the benefit of the doubt and assumed that the posts are sort of back-to-front. He uses the dictionary definition but then constructs sentences to show his understanding of the word. I think it is that which is meant to show "his interpretation".

Vil - can you clarify please.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Hi emsr2d2,

I have to hear the same thing all over again.

I have to endure stoically the caustic biting remarks of a narrow-minded battle-axe. (This has nothing to do with you.)

You should know that my granny didn’t know English and I have to learn it with the help of different dictionaries. The last few years I have the pleasure to use the present forum for fulfillment my cherished dream to make me master of English language. I have to thank to many of the teachers and moderators of the present forum which gave me a warm welcome as well as adequate support and assistance. I have to thank also to the great number of the NS-volunteers which gave me a leg when necessary.

I have to inform you that I know how to divide chaff from grain. I would abstain from speaking about the mentioned before “chaff” in order to evade taking due measures by reason of intolerable overstep of bounds of propriety.

In last time I avoided deliberately using of the expression “my interpretation” because I found much to my surprise that here one may also come across wolves. To make a long story short I would say that here around are ambitious people which are irritated by such things (words).

It is all too obvious that a beginning translator have to make the proper choice of an adequate interpretation of the term in question for some specific case.

1. A spot of light on a radar or sonar screen indicating the position of a detected object, such as an aircraft or a submarine. Also called pip3.
    2. A high-pitched electronic sound; a bleep.
    3. A transient sharp upward or downward movement, as on a graph.
    4. A temporary or insignificant phenomenon, especially a brief departure from the normal:

I had made my choice and then I addressed a request to you – teachers- for confirmation or rejection. You have done which you find it necessary in your first reply. All others was unnecessary.

Where is the problem?

V.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Not a problem at all, I was simply finally voicing a question I'd wondered about for a long time. I think it's just the wording or the order of your posts that have caused our confusion.

If, for example, I posted the following (in blue):

"He is an avid reader of books"

and then asked, without looking "avid" up in a dictionary "Am I correct that avid means enthusiastic or keen?"

then I would clearly be asking if I had interpreted the meaning of the word "avid" correctly without checking first.

If, however, I wrote:

"Avid - Having an ardent desire or unbounded craving; greedy. Marked by keen interest and enthusiasm.

He is an avid reader of books.

Have I used the word "avid" correctly here, given my understanding of the dictionary definition?"

then it would be clear that I was trying to use the word after looking up what it means.

Really, Vil, there was no offence intended, I simply wasn't clear on which one of the two scenarios would cover the majority of your posts.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    All others was unnecessary.
    Vil, I know you don't enjoy my presence in your threads and I promise it is the last time I answer to one if only this is your wish. I feel I'm one of the people whose answers you consider chaff for some reason, although I'm afraid I'm not the only one. This thread however has given me hope for mutual understanding.

You say that everything after emsr's first response was unnecessary. I don't agree. Thanks to these posts I have understood what the reason behind your threads is. The previous attempts at finding that out seemed to me to fail. I think some other people may have felt the same way, but that's for them to say.

Again, I feel you don't want my advice, but I have one bit of it anyway. Please ignore if you don't want it. Here it is.

I think some of the unpleasantness that has happened could have been avoided by your naming the dictionary from which you take your definitions and stating explicitly that you take them from there.