[Grammar] conditional sentence...very tricky..help please..

Status
Not open for further replies.

rainous

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Galician
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Antilles
I wrote the sentence below and would appreciate any help I can get in correcting it
if it's wrong in any way.

Mainly, I want to know if I used the tenses right. (Did I have to use past voice instead?) and if there is any structural problem.

"What are we supposed to do if the result doesn’t come out by August 15th and we have to wait a little longer after having disposed of or sold all our properties and terminated the rent contract thinking that we would have to leave the house by then? "

Thanks

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I wrote the sentence below and would appreciate any help I can get in correcting it
if it's wrong in any way.

Mainly, I want to know if I used the tenses right. (Did I have to use past voice instead?) and if there is any structural problem.

"What are we supposed to do if the result doesn’t come out by August 15th and we have to wait a little longer after having disposed of or sold all our properties and terminated the rent contract thinking that we would have to leave the house by then? "

Thanks

That is a VERY long sentence!!!

I think "properties" (which means houses/apartments) should be "property" (the uncountable word for all the things you own).

What are we supposed to do if the result's not out by August 15th, by which time we might have sold everything we own and terminated the rental contract thinking we had to be out of the house by that date?"

That's still a long sentence but I think it reads better.

rainous

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Galician
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Antilles
That is a VERY long sentence!!!

I think "properties" (which means houses/apartments) should be "property" (the uncountable word for all the things you own).

What are we supposed to do if the result's not out by August 15th, by which time we might have sold everything we own and terminated the rental contract thinking we had to be out of the house by that date?"

That's still a long sentence but I think it reads better.

Thank you for your suggestion.

I just want to know if your suggestion holds the same meaning as the one I have intended in my clumsy sentence.

here is the crux of the matter;
I want the same degree of conditionality to be imposed on the second part "we have sold everything we own and terminated the rental contract thinking we had to be out of the house by that date" as imposed on "the result's not out by august 15th"

Basically, my intention is as follows;

If the result's not out by august 15th and if we have already sold everything by then thinking we had to move out by that date, what are we supposed to do?

Does your sentence carry my intention? If not, is the sentence right above acceptable?

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you for your suggestion.

I just want to know if your suggestion holds the same meaning as the one I have intended in my clumsy sentence.

here is the crux of the matter;
I want the same degree of conditionality to be imposed on the second part "we have sold everything we own and terminated the rental contract thinking we had to be out of the house by that date" as imposed on "the result's not out by august 15th"

Basically, my intention is as follows;

If the result's not out by august 15th and if we have already sold everything by then thinking we had to move out by that date, what are we supposed to do?

Does your sentence carry my intention? If not, is the sentence right above acceptable?

As far as I'm concerned, my version retains the same meaning but I would like to say that your new version is correct and much better.

Status
Not open for further replies.