English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Spain
Hello,

I am not an esl teacher but have been asked to provide some private English lessons to young adults in Spain. I have been searching the internet for course material and am a bit overwhelmed with the amount of information and resources that are available so my questions is:

Does anyone have any recommendations as to course textbooks that provide a complete course in English starting from either no English or very little English speaking, reading and writing.

As advised, I am not an esl teacher so would prefer initially to follow some sort of course/curriculum that is textbook based.

I have looked into the Oxford English Language File series and New Headway so far.

Thanks in advance for any advise.

Andrew

Nersi

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello,
You may start with a book titled Top Notch Fundamental . It has Audio, video and songs . Also it will provide you with excercises and quizzes . The teachers' guide is also available to give you ideas about the timing and presentation of the lessons. By far I think this is the most effective material you may find.

Nersi

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
search for [site name removed] on google and you will find plenty

Last edited by a moderator:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Please don't post links to sites that reproduce copyright materials. Where this site is hosted, copyright laws are strictly enforced and there have been prosecutions of forums for doing this. Thank you.

mvdberg112

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Netherlands
I am using Face2Face from Cambridge at the moment - works well; it has a Language through Text approach. They do through text first Vocabulary/Grammar approach, and plunge then into Vocabulary and Skills. In part traditional, but very good to follow, especially for a starting teacher.

The Cambridge 'Touchstone' series is also very good. Has strong points because it looks at the things you do everyday. They do Language through Text too.

I have used 'New Inside Out' before with upper-intermediate students, and that went really well.

The good things is that it is actual and that uses different approaches throughout the book.

The difficult with your situation is, that you need to know what they really need. And of course how the course book works. When they asked me 'just teach some English', I had very much trouble making it true, because there was not clear goal and aim.

I do not know the book you mention, but is is probably good too. The differences between the major publishers is not 'good' or 'bad' but more the approach. Some do always Test Teach Test, and others always.

Hope this works. I found also some text books on the books site of google, where the show parts or whole books as far as copyright allows to do so.

masoudnbox

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
United States
I believe that new Headway is one of the best sources available for ESL students.

Status
Not open for further replies.