• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Italian
      • Home Country:
      • Italy
      • Current Location:
      • Italy

impress

I was wondering whether I can use the verb strike as a synonym for impress in this sentence? Can you suggest other verbs with similar meaning? Thanks.

I must say I like moonlit nights and skies a lot, and I can remember quite a few remarkable ones that impressed me.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: impress

Quote Originally Posted by licinio View Post
    I was wondering whether I can use the verb strike as a synonym for impress in this sentence? Can you suggest other verbs with similar meaning? Thanks.

I must say I like moonlit nights and skies a lot, and I can remember quite a few remarkable ones that impressed me.
    I wouldn't replace "impressed" with "struck" in your particular example, no. If something is described as "striking" it means it has a great effect on you, usually positive. "The way the moon and stars looked last night was really striking."

However, to use "to strike" I would perhaps say "It was a beautiful moonlit night last night. It struck me as one of the most beautiful I have ever seen". That means that it made you think a particular way.

It strikes me that the news these days is always made up of negative stories.
    It struck him that perhaps he should have put petrol (gas) in the car before he started his long journey.
    Does it strike you as odd that there is only one Monopolies Commission?