• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

Past Perfect problem

I am gonna keep it short. Can anybody tell me why the past perfect was used in the sentence below sentence?

---If you checked this website during the first week in May and found a notice that you had been selected for further processing or a notice that you had not been selected, that notice has been rescinded and is no longer valid.---

I thought that you use past perfect to talk about an event that had happened before another event in the past, which is expressed using the simple past.

In that sentence, where is the other event that happened after someone "had been selected". I hope you know what I mean.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Past Perfect problem

Quote Originally Posted by zenik50 View Post
    I am gonna keep it short. Can anybody tell me why the past perfect was used in that sentence?

If you checked this website during the first week in May and found a notice that you had been selected for further processing or a notice that you had not been selected, that notice has been rescinded and is no longer valid.

I thought that you use past perfect to talk about an event that had happened before another event in the past, which is expressed using the simple past.

In that sentence, where is the other event that happened after someone "had been selected". I hope you know what I mean.
    I believe that the event that happened after someone had been selected/not selected is "you checked" (past simple).