Member Type
Other
Native Language
Galician
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Antilles
Is it acceptable in formal writing to write just an abbreviated form of month and then year,
as in "Dec. 2011"?

thanks

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Is there a pressing need?

rainous

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Galician
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Antilles
No.

It's more like self-imposed pressing needs.

I was writing an employment reference letter and wondering if there was a proper way to write periods without including date since there is no need to be that specific?

For example, I want to write something like "Dec. 2010 ~ Jun. 2011" but is it acceptable?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
If it's in a table or list it may be acceptable,but not in a sentence.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
No.

I was writing an employment reference letter and wondering if there was a proper way to write periods without including date since there is no need to be that specific?

For example, I want to write something like "Dec. 2010 ~ Jun. 2011" but is it acceptable?
I personally wouldn't have a problem with it, but use a hyphen ( - ) to mean 'to', not a tilde ( ~ ).
Some people associate the tilde with approximation, so your phrase might read "from December 2010 to about June 2011".

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Good point. I expect this is something to do with the mathematical symbol for 'is approximately equal to': ≈ (I think, but I'm not a mathematician).

b

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Good point. I expect this is something to do with the mathematical symbol for 'is approximately equal to': ≈ (I think, but I'm not a mathematician).

b
Nor am I, but when I was in med. school, all our professors used it for non-mathematical shorthand to mean "about".
"PR ~ 72" (Pulse rate around 72 beats/min), etc.
"Laceration on L arm ~ 3cm long."

(I don't count guessing approximate measurements as mathematics.)

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No.

In any sort of running prose (not a table), I suggest you write December 2010 to June 2011. For an employment reference letter, which is on the formal side of the spectrum, I advise it even more strongly.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Nor am I, but when I was in med. school, all our professors used it for non-mathematical shorthand to mean "about".
"PR ~ 72" (Pulse rate around 72 beats/min), etc.
"Laceration on L arm ~ 3cm long."

(I don't count guessing approximate measurements as mathematics.)
Yes, this is the difference. "~" means approximately. "≈" means is approximately equal.

1.99 ≈ 2
~10cm of tape.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, this is the difference. "~" means approximately. "≈" means is approximately equal.

1.99 ≈ 2
~10cm of tape.

I was guessing at a derivation to explain the 'approximate' use of the tilde (perhaps by people who weren't aware of the background). I didn't know the single-tilde had that technical meaning (which presumably explains the double-tilde symbol). ;(But, in terms of derivation, one of them must have come first - unless they were simultaneously and/or independently coined (all of which suppositions strike me as unlikely ;-))

b

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
What I wrote is just the most common distinction. There are certainly many deviations from this in literature. There is also an abundance of other tilde-derived symbols in mathematics, like ≅, ≅ or ≃. (I'm not really sure whether the first two signs are different. I thought they were when I copied them, but they look the same now. The first was supposed to have three straight bars and the second two. The last one has one straight bar.)

Status
Not open for further replies.