Sentences that have an i.o. without a d.o.

Status
Not open for further replies.

donnach

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Do they exist?

What about this sentence:

I talked to him.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

donnach

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I feel like my question wasn't answered on that thread. I'm not saying that that's anyone's fault but my own, though, as I sometimes need things extra-clarified to understand them.

A yes or no answer would suffice.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I feel like my question wasn't answered on that thread. I'm not saying that that's anyone's fault but my own, though, as I sometimes need things extra-clarified to understand them.
It would be better to ask for clarification in the original thread, so that people who respond can see what has already be said.

A yes or no answer would suffice.
I seem to recall saying in the other thread that some people do not consider that there is an indirect object in "I talked to him", and that I provided a sentence with an indirect object but no indirect object. Does not that serve as a 'Yes'?
Please post any follow-up questions in the original thread to avoid conflicting/confusing responses.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I did not understand "i.o." and "d.o." at first. It's probably quite dumb of me, but I'd like to ask that you not use acronyms without explaining them if possible. It would just make reading the posts easier.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I did not understand "i.o." and "d.o." at first. It's probably quite dumb of me, but I'd like to ask that you not use acronyms without explaining them if possible. It would just make reading the posts easier.

Indirect object and direct object, I expect - but lets find out in the original thread. ;-)

b

Status
Not open for further replies.