Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
If someone is attractive enough from a far distance, but nasty up close, do you say "She is a monet"? I read it's from Alicia Sylverstone's movie, but is it common?

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I would read "she's a Monet" without the negative connotation, though the speaker may or may not have meant it that way. Monet is exquisite, to me.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
If someone is attractive enough from a far distance, but nasty up close, do you say "She is a [STRIKE]m[/STRIKE] Monet"? I read it's from Alicia Sylverstone's movie, but is it common?
No.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I've never heard it and I don't think it's a great metonymy. Monet's paintings look more or less usual when you look at them from a distance, but get blurry when you look at them up close. It's not the first time I encounter this kind of equating of blurriness and ugliness, but I don't really get it.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I've never heard it and I don't think it's a great metonymy. Monet's paintings look more or less usual when you look at them from a distance, but get blurry when you look at them up close. It's not the first time I encounter this kind of equating of blurriness and ugliness, but I don't really get it.

But it does remind me of our local expression for women with fantastic bodies but mediocre physiognomies: she's a butterface, because you love everything but 'er face.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
But it does remind me of our local expression for women with fantastic bodies but mediocre physiognomies: she's a butterface, because you love everything but 'er face.
Careful. The PC brigade are going to be out in force soon.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

We have that too. A few years ago bobfoc was doing the rounds (body off Baywatch, face off Crimewatch)

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
If someone is attractive enough from a far distance, but nasty up close, do you say "She is a monet"? I read it's from Alicia Sylverstone's movie, but is it common?

It just means that like Impressionist paintings, she looks better from a distance.

And it's not common.

Rover

Status
Not open for further replies.