Results 1 to 8 of 8
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jun 2011
    • Posts: 107
    #1

    Arrow that are

    People that are unemployed may need long-term help.
    Does dropping "that are" make the sentence ungrammatical or change its meaning?

  1. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #2

    Re: that are

    It's easier to read with 'that/who are' not dropped. If you want to drop it, I'd prefer, "Unemployed people may need long-term help".

  2. konungursvia's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Mar 2009
    • Posts: 5,158
    #3

    Re: that are

    Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    It's easier to read with 'that/who are' not dropped. If you want to drop it, I'd prefer, "Unemployed people may need long-term help".
    With certainty.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jun 2011
    • Posts: 107
    #4

    Re: that are

    So, "People unemployed may need long-term help." is a complete, grammatical sentence?

  3. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #5

    Re: that are

    Quote Originally Posted by ShirleyLing View Post
    So, "People unemployed may need long-term help." is a complete, grammatical sentence?
    It is not ungrammatical.

  4. konungursvia's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Mar 2009
    • Posts: 5,158
    #6

    Re: that are

    I would say no, because most native speakers would see it as malformed, as is often the case in rapid speech. Not completely wrong, but definitely awkward or strange.

  5. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #7

    Re: that are

    Quote Originally Posted by konungursvia View Post
    I would say no, because most native speakers would see it as malformed, as is often the case in rapid speech. Not completely wrong, but definitely awkward or strange.
    More clearly put than my post #5, which was meant to imply a similar thought, but did so too opaquely.

  6. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #8

    Re: that are

    Quote Originally Posted by ShirleyLing View Post
    Does dropping "that are" make the sentence ungrammatical or change its meaning?
    A simple adjective like "unemployed" causes a problem, but the following sentences are fine:
    "People unemployed through ill-health may need long-term help."
    "People unemployed because of disability may need long-term help."

    Your original sentence isn't ungrammatical, but it's not colloquial. I think most English teachers would mark it "wrong".

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •