• Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

as well as

Hi!
    I read the following in a TOEIC book:

“not only A but (also) B = B as well as A

Pineville Paper not only designs pamphlets but also prints customized posters. =
    Pineville Paper prints customized posters as well as designs pamphlets.” ((TOMATO TOEICReading, p. 197))

I think ‘designs’ in the second sentence must be replaced by ‘designing’.
    I referred to the following:

Ex1. She negotiates the licences as well as ordering the equipment. ((Collins Cobuild on CD-ROM))
    Ex2. The organization encourages members to meet on a regular basis, as well as providing them with financial support. ((Longman Advanced American Dictionary))
    Ex3. Some of the devices deliver e-mail automatically to users on the move as well as providing phone, text-messaging, Internet and corporate data applications. (CORRECT)
    Ex3'. Some of the devices deliver e-mail automatically to users on the move as well as provide phone, text-messaging, Internet and corporate data applications. (WRONG) ((p. 248, Achieve TOEIC, by Renald Rilcy, Marshall Cavendish Education))
    Ex4. He publishes as well as prints his own books. ((고급영문법해설))

I think Ex1~Ex3 have the same structure, ‘S + Vt1 + O1 + as well as + Vt2-ing + O2’.
    In this structure, ‘as well as’ is a PREPOSITION and after the preposition comes a GERUND.
    However, Ex4 has the different structure, ‘S + Vt1 + as well as + Vt2 + O’.
    In this structure, ‘as well as’ is a COORDINATOR and after the coordinator comes the SAME STRUCTURE.

In the above case, the original sentence “Pineville Paper prints … as well as designs ….” has the structure, ‘S + Vt1 + O1 + as well as + Vt2 + O2’.
    Therefore, it should have the corrected structure, ‘S + Vt1 + O1 + as well as + Vt2-ing + O2’.

What do you think? Do you agree with me?
    Thanks in advance.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Re: as well as

Yes, I agree with you.