Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Canada
People attend university to get a degree and protect themselves from/ against unemployment.

Thank you for your reply.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You can use either, though I have the impression that 'against' implies that unemployment is certain, whereas 'against' suggests that it might happen.

When I think of it either sounds a bit odd. In the present economic climate, any job requires an education and any level of education doesn't guarantee a job - so you don't protect yourself either from or against unemployment just by getting an education. What you're saying may be that people go to university because the alternative is unemployment.

b

arzgol

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Canada
But during economic crisis, simple workers lose their job faster compared with registered nurses.
I agree with you, that having a degree is not enough to be successful, because nepotism and favoritism are more important than your knowledge. As matter of fact, nowadays uneducated people earn more than educated people.But theoretically, when we write an essay, using the preposition ''from" is regarded a wrong word.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
.But theoretically, when we write an essay, using the preposition ''from" is regarded a wrong word.
It shouldn't be. You can protect somebody or something from or against somebody or something.

nielskokholm

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Danish
Home Country
Denmark
Current Location
Brazil
Both are good dependent prepositions, although they cannot always be used interchangeably.

Example:

The mother protected the child from harm NOT against harm (unless harm is the name of a person :)

Hedwig

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
You can use either, though I have the impression that 'against' implies that unemployment is certain, whereas 'against' suggests that it might happen.
This looks like a typo and I don't mean to expose you (sez Hedwig AKA Typo Queen) but I'm curious as to which is which.

Last edited:

arzgol

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Canada
I think Rover meant ''against''. to protect themselves against unemployment.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This looks like a typo and I don't mean to expose you (sez Hedwig AKA Typo Queen) but I'm curious as to which is which.

:oops: - perhaps I was sub-consciously 'hedging my bets' [=backing all possibilities] because I wasn't sure!;-) Also, as I wasn't happy with the 'education/unemployment' context, neither sounded right to me. But here are contexts that show the difference:

He was inoculated against malaria : if he was exposed* to malaria he'd be OK

Harry wore the cloak to prevent him from being seen : he was sure to be visible without it.

I'll leave the other post, so that people can follow the exchange.

b

*to the thing, that is, not to the risk

Status
Not open for further replies.