Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Danish
Home Country
Denmark
Current Location
Denmark
I read a lot of English every day I also watch some English television almost everyday so I read/listen to a lot of English. But speaking English is a two way exercise meaning that one also has to be able to express oneself.

And I do not express myself in English on a daily basis which means that I do not practice that as much. So I would like to practice expressing myself in English more. So how are people practising this? Have you got any suggestions?

Jazz_4

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I have the same problem, I mean the lack of speaking practice. The problem is no one speaks English where I live, and if there is someone, his (or her) English is awful. I don't know how to change this situation. So, what can I do? I can write. I take a theme and write all I know about it in English. This is the practice to express my thoughts. To have a good English pronunciation I read English books and listen to their audio versions. I read them aloud and strive to enunciate each word, each phrase, each sentence properly. And I do it a lot, every day. I hope as a result my English will become fluent and understandable. That's it. :oops:

Jazz_4

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Forums like this are a sort of halfway house, but have you looked at language exchanges ...
No, I have not. Thank you very much for this link. I think I'll be ready for this soon and this way will turn out a perfect solution.

lo2

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Danish
Home Country
Denmark
Current Location
Denmark
Well thanks for your suggestion!

When I talked about practising expressing myself I was mostly thinking about it in regards to writing. I know it is quite hard to get to practice your English orally, so that I did not really think of.

But I will have a look at that link, that is for sure!

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Writing is easily done in forums like this- there are plenty of participants and many discussions you can jump in and join.

lo2

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Danish
Home Country
Denmark
Current Location
Denmark
Writing is easily done in forums like this- there are plenty of participants and many discussions you can jump in and join.

Yeah I guess that might be the answer to my needs. It is just that sometimes it is kind of hard to just jump right in to a discussion...

Vidor

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
not a teacher

Get a pen pal.

CarloSsS

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I practice writing by keeping a diary. I write there all the things that happened to me on a particular day. You can also set up a blog and share your views on things you're interested in with the whole Internet. The most important thing is to write about something you like, or even better, are mad about, so that you have enough motivation to keep on writing.

As for speaking, you can speak to yourself. I know, it may sound weird or even crazy, but it'll help you develop your speaking skills a great deal. I, for example, turn on a movie and talk about all the things that are happening in the movie. However, it doesn't have to be a movie, you can talk about things you are doing at the moment, leaf through a magazine and comment what you see, what you think about it etc, you name it.

Status
Not open for further replies.