Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
My grammar book prescribes the use of the future simple in the following sentence.

"I expect she will sunbathe until she gets badly burnt - that's what she did last year."

I would use "going to" in this sentence as it's base on past evidence and there's high probability that she's going to do that again. OK?

Since sunbathing assumes ongoingness I would also use the future progressive as in " I expect she's going to be sunbathing............." OK?

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
My grammar book prescribes [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] the use of the future simple in the following sentence.

"I expect she will sunbathe until she gets badly burnt - that's what she did last year."

I would use "going to" in this sentence as it's based on past evidence and there's high probability that she's going to do that again. OK? It's possible.

Since sunbathing assumes ongoingness I would also use the future progressive as in " I expect she's going to be sunbathing............." OK? It's possible, but that's not the future progressive.
Although most grammarians today do not consider that there is a future tense in English, some books still refer to the future simple ('I will sunbathe') and the future progressive/continuous ('I will be sunbathing'). We also have the (BE) going to future ('I am going to sunbathe') and the progressive/continuous form of that ('I am going to be sunbathing')

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Although most grammarians today do not consider that there is a future tense in English, some books still refer to the future simple ('I will sunbathe') and the future progressive/continuous ('I will be sunbathing'). We also have the (BE) going to future ('I am going to sunbathe') and the progressive/continuous form of that ('I am going to be sunbathing')

Could I call it the progressive form of the "going to"?

Would it sound OK to the native ear "I expect she's goiing to be sunbathing until......."?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Could I call it the progressive form of the "going to future"? If you wish.

Would it sound OK to the native ear "I expect she's goi[STRIKE]i[/STRIKE]ng to be sunbathing until......."?
It's not impossible. In the appropriate context, I might even say it myself.

Possibly.

ostap77

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
It's not impossible. In the appropriate context, I might even say it myself.

Possibly.

1)It's more like "may be yes may be no may be rain may be snow". Would it be hard for a native speaker to say "Yes" or "No"?
How about she's been on vocation where she got burnt three times already?

2) Would it sound also "in the appropriate context"? "I'm going to be needing a report from you", if a detective officer got to the crime scene and asked that from a policeman?

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
1)It's more like "may be yes may be no may be rain may be snow". Would it be hard for a native speaker to say "Yes" or "No"?
Is so hard for you to accept that some of the suggested sentences that you come up with are not commonly used? They are often not 'incorrect', but most people would normally use another construction.

Status
Not open for further replies.