Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

need some help stating a few objectives clearly/concisely (not a teacher)

hi!

i'm working this puzzle/game thing, and i'm trying to figure out the best way to state the rules as simply/clearly/concisely as possible so that people quickly figure out how to play without getting too frustrated or bogged down in semantics. i've attached a terrible picture that will hopefully help explain things.

here we go:

rule 1. you can only use the numbers 1 through 9.

rule 2. always read this puzzle from the center (which in the poor drawing is represented by the little spiral-y circle thing) and work outwards towards the edge

rule 3. if you look at the numbers starting from the middle, you'll see a 3 and a little superscript '+2'. the following number is 5 because 3+2=5. moving along, you'll see that this particular 5 is accompanied by a little superscript +9.. and then the next two numbers in spots 3 & 4 are now a 1 and a 4, because 5+9 = 14.

there's more to the puzzle than this, but this is the 'rule' that i'm having difficulty wording. i think giving names to the two types of numbers (perhaps 'base' and 'superscript'?) might help clear things, but even then it's a little murky.

"a base plus it's superscript must equal the subsequent number(s)? " that's confusing as all hell.

anyway if anyone here has a pretty firm grip on the english language and enjoys this sort of thing, i'd appreciate the help!!

thanks!
    dave
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wording.jpg  

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Argentina
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

Re: need some help stating a few objectives clearly/concisely (not a teacher)

This is my suggestion:

rule 1. Only use numbers from 1 to 9.
    rule 2. Begin at the center and continue towards the edge.
    rule 3. Look at the middle of the line, there is a number 3 followed by a superscript '+2' so, the next number is a 5 because 3+2 equals 5. Moving along, you'll see that this number 5 is followed by a superscript +9, and then, the succeeding numbers 3 and 4 are now a 1 and a 4 since 5+9 equals 14.

What do you think?

Regards.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

Quote Originally Posted by Mylanguageclick View Post
    What do you think?
    I think your version is better than dsec's, but it will still cause problems. You have to get across to morons like me that '14' is split into two numbers, '1' and '4' - and also say where the superscripts come from.

@desec. You say that there is more to the puzzle than this. It will be easier for us if you give us the whole thing. Each rule in isolation may look fine - but it may not fit in with the others.

4. Newbie
    Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

hi!

mylanguageclick - thanks for this! i'd like to avoid using an example if possible, though. and i think it's currently way too long.

fivejedjon - there is a second part to the puzzle, where each number can fit into certain other locations (not pictured in the original drawing).. i think i've got that side of things covered, and i don't think taking this particular rule out of context will degrade it in any manner. it's just tricky to say!