English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi

I have started my pre-interview test for a tefl course. I need to see if im on the right lines as some of the questions seem confusing and i have even wondered if there has been a type error in some places.

1 In the following task, explain the difference in meaning between the following pairs of sentences

1: [FONT=&quot]a) If I have time, I’ll call you. b) If I had time, I’d call you.
[/FONT] Answer: While the first suggests a planned action in the present time for the near future the second indicates a past action that was prevented. Proberbly beacause there was not enough time.

a) I’ve seen him this morning. b) I saw him this morning.
Answer: In the first sentence the verb form is past perfect continuous implies he has seen him recently. It is probably still morning. The second sentence is past simple implies the event has occurred in the past.
[FONT=&quot]
a) There are a few opportunities for work here. b) There are few opportunities for work here.
Answer: ?? is this an error
[/FONT]

3. Pronunciation

3.1. How would the meaning change in the sentences below if we put the stress, or emphasis, on different words?
[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT] 3.1.1. That’s John’s sister.
Answer: Meaning the sister of John. Not the sister of Peter.

3.1.2. That’s John’s sister.
Answer: Meaning she is his sister. Not his cousine.

3.1.3. That’s John’s sister.
Answer: Meaning john is the possessor. The sister is owned by John.

4. Explaining Vocabulary

4.1. What would you say if students asked you the difference between the following pairs of words?

4.1.2. Interesting and interested
Answer: Interesting describes how you feel about the person or subject. She is an interesting person or i find this film very interesting. You find this film interesting but not all films. Interested describes the feeling of the person or the subject. Interested applicants may submit applications online or i am interested in art, meaning you have an interest in the subject.

[FONT=&quot]
4.1.3 Rough and roughly
Answer: Rough is an adjective to describe a surface or an approximate idea. My hands get very rough in the cold or The position of the sun would give you a rough idea of the time.
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
4.1.4 See and watch
?

5: [/FONT]Choose two of the following words and describe how you would teach students its meaning. run summer lovely a cardigan

[FONT=&quot]Answer: i assume i could explain that i might use images to explain a cardigan or a video to describe summer?? not entirely sure what is being asked here. or do i explain that 'run' is a doing word, action ect... and lovely is a description word of pleasure?..please give me suggestion as i know the answers need to be precise.
[/FONT]

5. You as teacher (i have left this section blank as i will continue later. i assume there is no one correct answer ??)

5.1. What would you do…

5.1.1. …if a student asked you a question (perhaps one of the ones above) that you didn’t know the answer to?

5.1.2. …if a student wanted you to translate a word for them?

Answer: Encouraged them to speak english during classes. If a students needs to know a name of an object, i will use visual aids, such as a photo.

5.1.3. …if a student was shy and never answered any questions at all?

[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
The course providers are trying to assess whether you have the potential to get through the course successfully. It would not be appropriate for us to help you, but I think it's acceptable for me to make a couple of points:
I have started my pre-interview test for a tefl course. I need to see if im on the right lines as some of the questions seem confusing and i have even wondered if there has been a type error in some places.

You want to become an English teacher. Capitalise and punctuate as you would in normal, semi-formal, English.

There are no typos that I can see in the course provider's questions..

1 In the following task, explain the difference in meaning between the following pairs of sentences[FONT=&quot]:
a) There are a few opportunities for work here. b) There are few opportunities for work here.
Answer: ?? is this an error No - apart from your missing question mark.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Natalie Kyriacou

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you for your advice to capitalise and punctuate :)

Again, thank you for notifying me that there are no a typo errors, however im still confussed how they can mean different things. Any small hints for below?

1 In the following task, explain the difference in meaning between the following pairs of sentences[FONT=&quot]:

Also, am i on th the right lines with my other answers? I feel at a loss.

Really appreciate the help.
[/FONT]

virus99

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Twi
Home Country
Bhutan
Current Location
Tuvalu
Hello Natalie!

I am certainly not qualified to help you and I stick with the previous opinion that too much help would spoil your test.

In your query about a few and few the answer may be too easy for you to find so I wanna help.

a) You do have a few (some) opportunities. It is likely to find a job, consequently. Positive.
b) There are (only) few opportunities. It is unlikely to find a job. Negative.

This is the humble opinion of a student and I could have made a few mistakes. But maybe I could help you out.

Natalie Kyriacou

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Wow, thank you so much.
Great observation, i didnt acknowledge the 'a'.
You've been a great help and i really appreaciate that.

:)

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
Thank you for your advice to capitalise and punctuate :)

Again, thank you for notifying me that there are no a (the article is wrong) typo errors, however I'm still confused how they can mean different things. Any small hints for below?

Also, am I on the the right lines with my other answers? I feel at a loss.

Really appreciate the help.
[/FONT]
If you want to be an English teacher, you really must take more care over your writing.
As a native English speaker do you really not understand the difference between "few" and "a few"?

Natalie Kyriacou

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:)

Thanks for highlighting my mistakes.

Status