Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
UK
When I was in Thailand a Thai friend quite often asked me "Do you need some drink?" or "Do you need some food?". I explained to him that it is not a question of need. Instead he should ask "Do you want something to drink?" or "Would you like something to eat?" as this was better English.

As it happened, a few weeks later an American lady offered to make some tea and she asked me "Do you need a cup of tea?" This was the first time ever that I heard a native speaker using this expression to offer a drink or food. Is this some kind of Americanism? I mean, I could understand if somebody asked "Do you need an ambulance?" or "Do you need a doctor?" assuming I was somewhat injured, but why would one use "Do you need..." when offering food or drink?

Phew, I think I need a cup of tea now.

TomUK

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Informally, I might ask, "Do you need a refill?"

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
I have also heard it used when offering a refill. I can't imagine asking if a guest needed a cup of tea, unless it were offered as some type of curative. If they were upset about something, one might ask if they needed a drink.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Yes, it's strange. (I thought American ladies drank coffee). Like the others, I wouldn't use "need" that way.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Yes, it's strange. (I thought American ladies drank coffee). Like the others, I wouldn't use "need" that way.

I normally wouldn't use "need" but see nothing wrong with it. We have cultural traditions that prescribe a conditional of "want" but in fact, we do need both food and drink, don't we?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I normally wouldn't use "need" but see nothing wrong with it. We have cultural traditions that prescribe a conditional of "want" but in fact, we do need both food and drink, don't we?
To be honest, I've never needed a cup of tea in my life. If I were visiting an American (or Canadian) lady, and she asked me whether I needed a cup of tea, I would probably have to think about what she meant. So, it's useful to know that it means "Would you like a cup of tea?" and that there was nothing about me that made her think I needed tea.

In other words, in my culture, if we are offering a drink to someone, we don't normally ask whether a person needs it. To me, it sounds like the lady will go to the trouble of making the tea if I actually need it, but might be reluctant if I merely would like it.

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
(I thought American ladies drank coffee).

Usually they do, unless they're trying to act all cultured and stuff. ;-) Or if they're having one of those "celebrate the special moments of our life" experiences with their lady friends. (Not that I'm one to stereotype tea-drinkers or anything.)

And no, "do you need..." is not a common way to offer a beverage, unless it's a shot of brandy to a panicky person. My late mother-in-law often used an unusual sentence construction when offering food or drink - she'd ask, for example, "Would it suit you to have biscuits for breakfast?" Her phraseology originally struck me as strange and awkward, but after spending more time in the American South I found that this is a common expression 'round those parts when asking someone if they'd like a particular food or drink item. :)

dsec

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
when i associate the word 'need' with non-imperative items/subjects, it's usually in the past tense when the person offered can make a more subjective diagnosis on its necessity

"i needed that cup of tea"

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
You're all definitely right that it is unusual. I was suggesting it's not wrong, just less polite, and more over-stated, to use "need."

Status
Not open for further replies.