Results 1 to 9 of 9
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Jul 2007
    • Posts: 812
    #1

    do without

    She don't do badly, considering the little bit of money we've got. It's just me who do without, really, but we've got decent clothes on our backs, and food on the table, so we mustn't grumble.

    Does the "do without" mean "do badly without the money " ? Please.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Jul 2010
    • Posts: 283
    #2

    Re: do without

    Quote Originally Posted by puzzle View Post
    She don't do badly, considering the little bit of money we've got. It's just me who do without, really, but we've got decent clothes on our backs, and food on the table, so we mustn't grumble.

    Does the "do without" mean "do badly without the money " ? Please.
    Semi-teacher and native.

    'Do without' means to carry on or manage without something. In this context it means money. Usually it is something that would be nice to have (or not have in some cases), but isn't always necessary/possible.

    Other examples could be:
    I could do without her nagging.
    I could do without all these deadlines.

    Also in your example, 'It's just me that do without....' I think it should be, 'It's just me that does without...'.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: Jul 2007
    • Posts: 812
    #3

    Re: do without

    The writer means she manages to live well without money? If so, why she uses "but" afterwards? Please.
    Last edited by puzzle; 03-Aug-2011 at 09:40.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Jul 2010
    • Posts: 283
    #4

    Re: do without

    Quote Originally Posted by puzzle View Post
    The writer means she manages to live well without money? If so, why she uses "but" afterwards? Please.
    The writer has some money, enough to buy clothes and food, there isn't any mention that the writer 'lives well'. 'Does without' could also refer to the little extras in life that having money allows, what these are varies from person to person. For example it could be anything from being able to afford taxis or holidays, to meals out or a car.

    The 'but' is used to show that although the writer isn't rich they still have enough money to buy food and clothes and are thankful for that.

  1. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #5

    Re: do without

    Quote Originally Posted by puzzle View Post
    She do[es]n't do badly, considering the little bit of money we've got. It's just me who do[es] without, really, but we've got decent clothes on our backs, and food on the table, so we mustn't grumble.

    Does the "do without" mean "do badly without the money " ? Please.
    I don't think he's complaining about a lack of money, although he's obviously not well-off. The first sentence is talking about his wife's (or someone's) ability to run a household on a small amount: she does it quite well ('She don't do badly').

    There seem to me two possible interpretations of the second sentence:

    • 'If anyone has to make do with less than a full share, it's me.' This strikes me as unlikely. In my experience, the person who serves the food (often a woman) usually gets the least and the least desirable food.
    • 'I don't get enough sex'.


    The latter strikes me as the more likely. Privacy is the first thing to go when money's scarce.

    b

  2. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,109
    #6

    Re: do without

    "It's just me who do without" and "She don't do badly" together seem to indicate that the wife is doing pretty well compared to the husband. But he doesn't want to complain because he's probably meant to be the breadwinner.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 12,312
    #7

    Re: do without

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    I don't think he's complaining about a lack of money, although he's obviously not well-off. The first sentence is talking about his wife's (or someone's) ability to run a household on a small amount: she does it quite well ('She don't do badly').

    There seem to me two possible interpretations of the second sentence:

    • 'If anyone has to make do with less than a full share, it's me.' This strikes me as unlikely. In my experience, the person who serves the food (often a woman) usually gets the least and the least desirable food.
    • 'I don't get enough sex'.


    The latter strikes me as the more likely. Privacy is the first thing to go when money's scarce.

    b
    I don't agree with this interpretation. I think he is saying that he doesn't get any of life's luxuries since all of his money goes into keeping the family fed and housed.

  3. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #8

    Re: do without

    Quote Originally Posted by SoothingDave View Post
    I don't agree with this interpretation. I think he is saying that he doesn't get any of life's luxuries since all of his money goes into keeping the family fed and housed.
    But if he goes without cigarettes, say, do his children still have chocolate? My interpetation is based on his statement that he is alone in his privation: 'It's just me who do without', Maybe it's just his nature - the whole family does without luxuries, and he feels particularly aggrieved...

    Anyway, I shan't go to the wall to defend my position!

    b

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 12,312
    #9

    Re: do without

    Quote Originally Posted by BobK View Post
    But if he goes without cigarettes, say, do his children still have chocolate? My interpetation is based on his statement that he is alone in his privation: 'It's just me who do without', Maybe it's just his nature - the whole family does without luxuries, and he feels particularly aggrieved...

    Anyway, I shan't go to the wall to defend my position!

    b
    Well, a good father would provide sweets for the kids, even if he can't afford his own cigarettes. And only occasionally grumble a bit.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •