• Native Language:
      • Danish
      • Home Country:
      • Denmark
      • Current Location:
      • Denmark

Freeberty

Hi there

Saw the word "Freeberty" on the Colbert report, and it made me wonder if that is an English word? And I am not sure what it means, does it have anything to do with "Freedom"?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Re: Freeberty

Quote Originally Posted by lo2 View Post
    Hi there

Saw the word "Freeberty" on the Colbert report, and it made me wonder if that is an English word? And I am not sure what it means, does it have anything to do with "Freedom"?
    Semi-teacher and native.

I haven't seen the Colbert Report, so can't comment on how it was used, however, I am willing to guess that 'freeberty' is a cross of 'freedom' and 'liberty'.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Danish
      • Home Country:
      • Denmark
      • Current Location:
      • Denmark

Quote Originally Posted by shroob View Post
    Semi-teacher and native.

I haven't seen the Colbert Report, so can't comment on how it was used, however, I am willing to guess that 'freeberty' is a cross of 'freedom' and 'liberty'.
    Ah yeah of course! (I feel a bit stupid)

But that is not a real word is it?

And by the way what is the difference between "Freedom" and "Liberty" they kind of seem to be two words for exactly the same?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Quote Originally Posted by lo2 View Post
    Ah yeah of course! (I feel a bit stupid)

But that is not a real word is it?

And by the way what is the difference between "Freedom" and "Liberty" they kind of seem to be two words for exactly the same?
    No, it's not a real word, but who knows, if enough people use it often enough it may become one!

They are very similar in meaning, after a few internet searches I'm still a bit unsure of what the difference is.
    One website says:
    'Freedom is a state of being capable of making decisions without external control. Liberty, on the other hand, is freedom which has been granted to a people by an external control.'

Another website says, 'Liberty is what you have when you have the freedom to do something, not the other way around'.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Danish
      • Home Country:
      • Denmark
      • Current Location:
      • Denmark

Quote Originally Posted by shroob View Post
    No, it's not a real word, but who knows, if enough people use it often enough it may become one!

They are very similar in meaning, after a few internet searches I'm still a bit unsure of what the difference is.
    One website says:
    'Freedom is a state of being capable of making decisions without external control. Liberty, on the other hand, is freedom which has been granted to a people by an external control.'

Another website says, 'Liberty is what you have when you have the freedom to do something, not the other way around'.
    Ah thanks a lot mate! :)

You are awesome.