Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Question

  1. Unregistered44445


    I don't know what this line is even called: "-"
    Anyways, what is the name of it, and under what circumstances should it be used in?
    Also, I sometimes see it with two lines: "--", instead of one. When can each one be used?
    I found an example which uses the "--" version:
    They are the second American League team to draw 4 million fans -- the Blue Jays are the other -- and third in the Majors. Toronto and Colorado each surpassed the mark in 1993; the Blue Jays had done so in 1992 as well.


  2. Editor,
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 60,190

    Re: Question

    If it's joining two words, it's a hyphen. Some people use a longer one, called an en dash (becuase it is as wide as a letter 'n') to join things specially for that text, though nowadays most people use a hyphen there. When used as punctuation, it is called a dash, traditionally called an em dash because it was bigger (the width of a letter 'm'). So some people use two dashes to get this effect. In a word processor like Words, if you use two dashes, it will convert them into an em dash for you.

Similar Threads

  1. Question with a Question
    By Kristin in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 29-Jan-2006, 15:26
  2. Answering a question with a question
    By Sarah Shaw-Gray in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 28-Jan-2006, 14:33
  3. Might question tag
    By queenmaabd in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 20-Jan-2005, 03:25
  4. Tag question
    By Anonymous in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 17-Jun-2004, 10:11


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts