Student or Learner
Native Language
Quechua
Home Country
Qatar
Current Location
Argentina
Dear All,

When I look up the word "Million" in dictionary, the phonetics symbol is [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]/ [/FONT][FONT=&quot]ˈmɪljən [/FONT][FONT=&quot]/, but how come I hear people and dictionaries say [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]/ [/FONT][FONT=&quot]ˈmɪl[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]i[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]jən [/FONT][FONT=&quot]/[/FONT][/FONT], please advise.

EngFan

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Dear All,

When I look up the word "Million" in dictionary, the phonetics symbol is [FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]/ [/FONT][FONT=&quot]ˈmɪljən [/FONT][FONT=&quot]/, but how come I hear people and dictionaries say [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]/ [/FONT][FONT=&quot]ˈmɪl[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]i[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]jən [/FONT][FONT=&quot]/[/FONT][/FONT], please advise.

EngFan
Because not everyone pronounces it the same?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Well I would say /mi‛ly‛n/ or some people said /milii‛n/, there're only two ways to say it.
Neither of those is standard. /y/ is not an English sound.

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Last edited:

EngFan

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Quechua
Home Country
Qatar
Current Location
Argentina
Most of people and talking dictionaries would pronounce it with 3 syllables mil.li.on, but phonetics symbol shows there are only 2 syllables mil. on, could you tell me how do you pronounce it 2 syllables or 3 syllables?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Most [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] people and talking dictionaries would pronounce it with 3 syllables mil.li.on, but phonetics symbol shows there are only 2 syllables mil. on, could you tell me how do you pronounce it 2 syllables or 3 syllables?
/'mɪljən/ and /'mɪliən/ are both acceptable. Note that there is always a /j/, even if it is only in the glide from /i/ to /ə/ (which can, but does not have to be, noted with a subscript /j/ in the second version).

/mɪljən/ has two syllables; /mɪliən / has between two and three, depending on how the speaker actually pronounces it; it is usually closer to two than three.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
/'mɪljən/ and /'mɪliən/ are both acceptable. Note that there is always a /j/, even if it is only in the glide from /i/ to /ə/ (which can, but does not have to be, noted with a subscript /j/ in the second version).

/mɪljən/ has two syllables; /mɪliən / has between two and three, depending on how the speaker actually pronounces it; it is usually closer to two than three.
That's right. You could also say there's always an /i/ since you have to go through /i/ to get from /l/ to /j/ - or that /j/ starts with an abortive /i/.
Given that, there aren't two ways of saying it, but one way, on a spectrum from almost no intrusive /i/ to an obvious two syllable /ijə/.

Status
Not open for further replies.