Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Hi everyone,

Which does "calory consumption" mean; to eat calories or to burn off?
I often find this phrase used in both ways. Not a massive problem as the context usually gets the message across but it would be nice to know properly.

Also, I see "calory intake" and "caloric intake". Do you consider them to be both correct and synonumous with each other?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi everyone,

Which does "calory consumption" mean; to eat calories or to burn off?
I often find this phrase used in both ways. Not a massive problem as the context usually gets the message across but it would be nice to know properly.

Also, I see "calory intake" and "caloric intake". Do you consider them to be both correct and synonumous with each other?

Note: the spelling is calorie (singular) and calories (plural). The adjective is calorific.

When applied to the food you eat, calorie consumption is how many calories you are putting into your body. When talking about exercise, calorie consumption is used to describe how many calories you burn off using that exercise. I would personally use "calorie burning" when talking about exercise and "consumption" for eating but that's my own personal choice.

Kengo

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Note: the spelling is calorie (singular) and calories (plural). The adjective is calorific.

When applied to the food you eat, calorie consumption is how many calories you are putting into your body. When talking about exercise, calorie consumption is used to describe how many calories you burn off using that exercise. I would personally use "calorie burning" when talking about exercise and "consumption" for eating but that's my own personal choice.

Hi emsr2d2,

I see "calorie concumption" may work either way.
As for the spellings and the adjective, my dictionary shows all those words. It seems to me like one of the differences between British and American.
I'm actually fond of British English but I learnt on this subject more in American English and didn't get a chance to encounter the difference.

Thanks

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Americans also spell "calorie" like that.

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
In the US, caloric is the adjective generally used in the OP's context. (Caloric intake.)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In the US, caloric is the adjective generally used in the OP's context. (Caloric intake.)

Thanks for that. I stand corrected on calorific and caloric but as someone said above, I think it's "calorie" in the singular in both BrE and AmE.

Kengo

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi SoothingDave and riquecohen,

Sounds like there's some room for personal choice.
Thank you all. It's been very informative here.

No, "calorie" is the noun and "caloric" is the adjective.

Kengo

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
No, "calorie" is the noun and "caloric" is the adjective.

Sorry for my slow response. I didn't expect the thread to continue.

Every dictionary I have checked has both "calorie" and "calory" and defines them as synonyms. Also, I have seen Americans write "calory" so I'm not convinced that "calory" is the wrong spelling. Though I think I will personally use "calorie" as it seems more widely accepted.
My only remaining question is if "caloric" and "calorific" are totally synonymous, which would be very difficult to clarify.

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
Sorry for my slow response. I didn't expect the thread to continue.

Every dictionary I have checked has both "calorie" and "calory" and defines them as synonyms. Also, I have seen Americans write "calory" so I'm not convinced that "calory" is the wrong spelling. Though I think I will personally use "calorie" as it seems more widely accepted. That's a good choice.:)
My only remaining question is if "caloric" and "calorific" are totally synonymous, which would be very difficult to clarify.
I would say that caloric and calorific are not totally synonymous. Both are generally used in discussing food, and IMO, are slightly different.
"His daily caloric intake is..."
"Several high-fat cheeses are very calorific." (Loaded with calories.)
When referring to generating heat, it seems to me that calorific is the better one to use

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I was just thinking the same thing - calorific to me means "high in calories".

Kengo

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
I would say that caloric and calorific are not totally synonymous. Both are generally used in discussing food, and IMO, are slightly different.
"His daily caloric intake is..."
"Several high-fat cheeses are very calorific." (Loaded with calories.)
When referring to generating heat, it seems to me that calorific is the better one to use

I was just thinking the same thing - calorific to me means "high in calories".

Thanks for your responses.
That's exactly where my reservations came from and I feel nice and clear now.

One more question popped in my mind while reading through this thread.
As discussed already, you say "calorie consumption" and "caloric intake" and I suppose it's possible to say "consumption of calorie(s)" and "intake of calorie(s)".
I wonder if there are any rules that certain words go with the noun or the adjective. i.e. is it just unacceptable to say "caloric consumption"? or does it make you think of something different?

Status
Not open for further replies.