• Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Morocco
      • Current Location:
      • Morocco

Question Ways of reading.

Hello,
    So, when I was reading a book or whatever, is it correct to look for any word that I did not understand? Or just grasp the meaning even if I did not understand a word or a group of ones, but in this case I'll not enrich and broaden my knowledge and my vocabulary. I read about" la lecture rapide" quick reading which requires reading blocks of words at one time and comprehending the meaning , I tried to practice this technique but it is very hard with a foreign language
    Would you please tell me your opinion?

NB. I can not align the question mark and the full stop to the left
    All the best

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: Ways of reading.

Quote Originally Posted by symaa View Post
    Hello,
    So, when I am reading a book or whatever, is it correct to look for any word that I did not understand? Or just grasp the meaning even if I did not understand a word or a group of words, but in this case I'll not enrich and broaden my knowledge and my vocabulary. I read about" la lecture rapide" quick reading which requires reading blocks of words at a time and comprehending the meaning. I tried to practice this technique but it is very hard with a foreign language.
    Would you please tell me your opinion?

NB. I can not align the question mark and the full stop to the left
    (I do not understand what you mean by this. You just type question mark or full stop direct after the last letter of a sentence; as if they were part of the last word.)
    All the best

I am not a teacher, but as a fellow student maybe I can tell you how I do it. When I started learning English I had to look up quite a few words to understand what I was reading. Now I hardly ever do this. When I read an exciting novel I am either too lazy or just can't be bothered to look up an unknown word as long as I still get the gist of the story. My advice to you would be: While reading a book just jot down any unknown words on a piece of paper and continue enjoying what you are reading. Later, in your own time, you can always grab a dictionary and look up anything you did not fully comprehend. (I just wish, that sometimes I would follow my own advice.)

This technique you are mentioning will probably work better when you become more proficient in English.

TomUK

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Morocco
      • Current Location:
      • Morocco

Re: Ways of reading.

Quote Originally Posted by TomUK View Post
    I am not a teacher, but as a fellow student maybe I can tell you how I do it. When I started learning English I had to look up quite a few words to understand what I was reading. Now I hardly ever do this. When I read an exciting novel I am either too lazy or just can't be bothered to look up an unknown word as long as I still get the gist of the story. My advice to you would be: While reading a book just jot down any unknown words on a piece of paper and continue enjoying what you are reading. Later, in your own time, you can always grab a dictionary and look up anything you did not fully comprehend. (I just wish, that sometimes I would follow my own advice.)

This technique you are mentioning will probably work better when you become more proficient in English.Yes, you're right , as English is my third language , one should have a baggage of vocabularies.

TomUK
    Thank you so much Tom for your interest and for your nice reply and advice, I highly appreciate it. I'll try to do what you've advised me, even if we're not in the same situation because English is probably your second language .

(I do not understand what you mean by this. You just type question mark or full stop direct after the last letter of a sentence; as if they were part of the last word.)
    Yes I do, but I had a problem that the question mark or full stop goes to the beginning of the sentence.

Regards