Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
I have a question about the tenses in these subordinate clauses of the following 2 examples:

1)Go to the party,Jenny! You will be glad afterwards because you experienced/will have experienced something nice.

2) I will help my mother. I know she will not be grateful afterwards although I helped/will have helped her.

All the action in these examples will happen in the future but that in the subordinate clause will have happened before the action described in the main clause. Is it correct to use the past tense for simplification reasons or do we have to use the future perfect form. Could we also use the present perfect tense in these 2 subordinate clauses-'have experienced' and 'have helped' to convey the same meaning?

I am looking forward to your answers and want to thank you. Keep up the good work!

Greetings from Bavaria

Joern

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
1)Go to the party,Jenny! You will be glad afterwards because you experienced/will have experienced something nice.

2) I will help my mother. I know she will not be grateful afterwards although I helped/will have helped her.
This is an interesting problem. My first reaction was to say that only the forms I have underlined are acceptable. Then I realised that all of the following sound fine:

Go to the party,Jenny! You will be glad afterwards because you experienced something nice.
Go to the party,Jenny! You will be glad afterwards because you will have experienced something nice.
Go to the party,Jenny! You will be glad afterwards because you have experienced
something nice.

I will think about this - and pray that somebody else comes up with a convincing answer soon.

allenman

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Go to the party,Jenny! You will be glad afterwards because you will have experienced something nice.
This one or perhaps:
Go to the party, Jenny! You will be glad afterwards because you will experience something nice.

I know it seems strange to use the future tense here but in idiomatic speech in my region it is far more common to use the future tense than the future perfect. Not sure why...

Not a teacher -- AmE native

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

In that specific sentence, I'd use the future perfect, in writing especially.

However that sentence would not be common, because the speaker is assuming that Jenny will experience something nice - which is unwarranted.
"You will be glad afterwards when you've experienced something nice." (Present perfect)
"You will be glad afterwards if you experience something nice." (Present)

Status
Not open for further replies.