Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
The talk around the table had turned to numbers and logistics, the impossibility of change. Caroline stood up, trembling. Her dead mother's hand flew to her mouth in shock. Caroline herself could not quite believe it, how her life had changed her, what she had become. But there was no going back. (She waited until everybody was quiet and made a small speech.)
(The Memory Keeper's Daughter, Kim Edwards)

The part in bold puzzles me a lot. I can imagine that if her mother had seen Caroline now she would have been very surprised, actually shocked. But then, I can't understand why the author did not write "Her dead mother's hand would have flown..."

Would you please make some suggestions?

Thanks.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
The talk around the table had turned to numbers and logistics, the impossibility of change. Caroline stood up, trembling. Her dead mother's hand flew to her mouth in shock. Caroline herself could not quite believe it, how her life had changed her, what she had become. But there was no going back. (She waited until everybody was quiet and made a small speech.)
(The Memory Keeper's Daughter, Kim Edwards)

The part in bold puzzles me a lot. I can imagine that if her mother had seen Caroline now she would have been very surprised, actually shocked. But then, I can't understand why the author did not write "Her dead mother's hand would have flown..."

Would you please make some suggestions?

Thanks.
Unless there is some previous context to explain it, it looks very odd to me.

suprunp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Unless there is some previous context to explain it, it looks very odd to me.
Which (this previous context that I could link this phrase to) I seem to have failed to find so far...

suprunp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Try here: ???????????-?-?-???????????toefl,?????????????????¶º??? I don't think it helps much. (Despite the strange appearance of that link, it works.)

Thank you fivejedjon.
It seems that this website contains some chapters from this lovely book I read, but, I'm afraid (taking into account the writer's style) that if I'm ever going to find the answer I should reread 162 pages preceding this phrase very attentively. :)

(But it helps to know that it sounds strange to you and, consequently, the answer should be, if at all, somewhere in those 162 pages.)

Status
Not open for further replies.