Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Canada
What do you say in English when your colleague spys on you? Fink?

Thank you so much.

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
If he's revealed to others what he has discovered about you, he's a fink

allenman

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Fink is ancient history. Doubtful that anyone here would have a clue what you're saying unless they're from the 30's.

Let's see:
Scumbag
Traitor
D-head (very vulgar when spelled out, sorry)

Interested in seeing others' opinions.

Not a teacher -- AmE native

arzgol

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Canada
I know the word '' fink'' is old-fashioned, but the word brown-noser is informal. Employers always have their people among personnel, to know everything about employees, even though it is not related to the work. It is around the word. So, in Farsi we say ''Antenna'', or ''eyes and ears of the boss''.

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
For some reason, "rat fink" was a funny insult we used in our family. When you were pretending to be mad at someone, you'd call them that. I don't think I've ever heard anyone use it for real.

You could just say "rat," I guess. It's not a concept I've encountered at work.

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
I know the word '' fink'' is old fashion, but he word brown-noser is informal. Employers always have their people among personnel, to know everything about employees, even though it is not related to the work. It is around word. So, in Farsi we say ''Antenna'', or ''eyes and ears of the boss''.
It's not that old-fashioned.
What you say in Farsi captures the meaning. A fink is generally an informant, while a brown-nose is a sycophant

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I still occasionally hear "fink" used in AmE when referring to someone who spies on you and then reports your activity. Other phrases used could be "snitch" ("Make sure you do your Web surfing when Fred is not around, he's the office snitch and will definitely narc on you.") For that matter, "narc" is also be used as a synonym for "fink": "Be careful about gossiping when Mary is around, she is such a narc. Anything she overhears goes straight to the boss."

When referring to the actions of a fink in AmE, we say that "Fred snitched on me" or "Fred ratted me out to the boss."

Hedwig

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
Another word for snitch is grass. I`ve an idea it must be more British than American, as I've only ever heard it in British films.
For some reason I like the word.

JMurray

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
New Zealand
Current Location
Australia
In Aust/NZ English a common term for this is "dobber".

"He's such a dobber, he always tells the boss when I'm late for work".
"He saw his neighbour steal the plants and dobbed him in to the police".

not a teacher

suprunp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
"She sat on the back step sipping, watching the flames. A recent city ordinance prohibited any sort of burning, and she worried that the neighbors might call the police."
(The Memory Keeper's Daughter, Kim Edwards)

What would you call such neighbours - finks, dobbers? Or is it a common practice in the US (where the event takes place)? :)

Thanks.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Snitches" or "upright citizens" depending on your perspective. Is there a severe drought and a stray spark could start a wildfire? Are they burning garbage?

suprunp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
"Snitches" or "upright citizens" depending on your perspective. Is there a severe drought and a stray spark could start a wildfire? Are they burning garbage?

She's burning some photographs and the air is quiet. I, for one, do not think a stray spark from this bonfire could set a wildfire.

(One of the reasons I'm asking it is that the thought about some neighbours calling the police because of a small bonfire I set in my backyard would never cross my mind and is slightly ridiculous, in a way.:)

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It all depends on where you live and how close the neighbors are. What is permissible or tolerated in the country or suburb may not be in a city.

Hedwig

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
I've lived in an extremely dry region with only a little rain for less than two months in the summer. And I've had a wildfire get as close as 150 metres (some 160 yards) from my home, the fire-fighters smacking the fire with mats because there's no water.

I'd be the one calling the police, trust me.
;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.