Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to give me your considered opinion concerning the paraphrasing of one sentence from an American short story?

“In ten minutes” said Bill, “I shall cross the Central, Southern and Middle Western States, and be legging it trippingly for the Canadian border”.

“In ten minutes” said Bill, “I can go through all of the Central States and be well up into Canada.”

V.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'm not sure what that author thinks is different about the central states and the Midwest, so combing those is okay, but you've omitted the South in your paraphrase.

vil

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Hi Barb_D,

Thank you for your kindness reading my clumsy writings.

I'm not sure what that author thinks is different about the central states and the Midwest, so combing those is okay, but you've omitted the South in your paraphrase.

I have omitted the South intentionally because, in my humble opinion, the mentioned below characters are situated in the very South of USA namely Alabama.

It looked like a good thing: but wait till I tell you. We were down South, in Alabama--Bill Driscoll and myself-when this kidnapping idea struck us.

It is obvious that in the present case are envisaged Tennessee, Kentucky, Indiana, Ohio and Michigan.

Thank you again for your backing.

V.

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If you did already know that they were starting in the South, then your paraphrase is okay.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
In the first sentence Bill hasn't reached Canada. In the paraphrase he is well into it.

So that can't be right.

Rover

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
If you did already know that they were starting in the South, then your paraphrase is okay.
Except that the original mentions the Southern states, and the paraphrase doesn't. The original does not mention all of the Central States; the paraphrase does.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In the first sentence Bill hasn't reached Canada. In the paraphrase he is well into it.

So that can't be right.

Rover

You are so right. Somehow I missed the "for the border" and read it as already being across the border.

I still feel okay about the Southern state thing. You can't start in Alabama and cross Midwestern states without crossing other Southern states in the process, so it's implied.

But I definitely blew it on where you are in relation to the Canadian border.

Status
Not open for further replies.