Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to give me your considered opinion concerning the interpretation of the expression in bold in the following sentence?

Then on Saturdays we escaped to the nearby woods and hills, travelling through the suburbs by tramcar, and then walking many miles across the moors, wind-burned and carefree.

wind-burn = wind-blown

V.

Last edited:

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to give me your considered opinion concerning the interpretation of the expression in bold in the following sentence?

Then on Saturdays we escaped to the nearby woods and hills, travelling through the suburbs by tramcar, and then walking many miles across the moors, wind-burned and carefree.

wind-burn = wind-blown

V.
Hi, Vil!

I don't equate 'wind-burn' with 'wind-blown'. In my considered opinion, a 'wind-burn' would leave a visible mark on the face. 'Wind-blown' would only tussle my hair and perhaps leave my clothing slightly askew.

Cheers,
A4

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Hi, Vil!

I don't equate 'wind-burn' with 'wind-blown'. In my considered opinion, a 'wind-burn' would leave a visible mark on the face. 'Wind-blown' would only tussle my hair and perhaps leave my clothing slightly askew.

I agree.

Wind-burn can also make the face tingle or sting.

Rover

vil

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Hi amigos4 and Rover KE,

I agree with both of you about your weighty rejection of my frivolous interpretation of “wind-burn”.

Thank you for your kindness.

V.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I agree with both of you about your weighty rejection of my frivolous interpretation of “wind-burn”.
It was not frivolous. If I were to suggest that 'wind-blown' meant that somebody had burped in my face, that would be frivolous.

I can't think of a single adjective to describe your interpretation. Mistaken is a little strong; misinformed would only be appropriate if somebody else had given you the interpretation. The best I can come up with at present is imprecise.

vil

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Hi fivejedjon,

I agree with your Solomon judgment concerning my frivolous interpretation of “wind-burn”. Sure enough it was imprecise. Thank you for your condescension towards my slap-dash writing.

wind-burn = an irritation or chafing of the skin caused by long exposure to the wind

Read more: http://www.answers.com/topic/windburn#ixzz1UpSgPO4L

There is another term, namely “weather-beaten” which is very close to my interpretation “wind-blown”.

weather-beaten= damaged or worn by exposure to the weather

Read more: http://www.answers.com/topic/weather-beaten#ixzz1UpfI14Gb

This made me think that I may change “weather” with “wind” and so go so far that I identified faulty “wind-burn” and “wind-blown”.

Now I see, my interpretation is beyond the pale.

Please excuse my fatuity.

Thank you again for your unremitting watchfulness.

V.

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Hi, Vil.
I agree with your Solomon judgment concerning my frivolous interpretation of “wind-burn”. Sure enough it was imprecise. Thank you for your condescension towards my slap-dash writing.
Your interest in words prompts me to pick up another infelicitous usage. Jane Austen used it differently, but 'condescension' is used today with a suggestion of being patronising. I did not intend to appear patronising.

Also, at the risk of appearing picky, I would not describe your writing as slap-dash (done too quickly and carelessly - ALD). You occasionally come up with an interpretation that is perhaps not the most appropriate, but that is not slap-dash.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.