Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hello! I would like to work on my pronunciation and accent. Please, tell me, which accent should I choose to learn- american or british (which would be easier for me to learn, basing on how I speak now. which is closer to my current pronunciation?) I'd be glad to hear any suggestions.

Attachments

• voc004(2).mp3
    361.7 KB · Views: 54

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Please, tell me, which accent should I choose to learn- [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE]American or [STRIKE]b[/STRIKE]British (which would be easier for me to learn, bas[STRIKE]ing[/STRIKE]ed on how I speak now. which is closer to my current pronunciation?) I'd be glad to hear any suggestions.
I think your accent is very satisfactory as it is. It could go either way, depending on your teacher or the recorded materials you use.

It appears to me to be closer to British than to American and, for this reason only, I would suggest you opt for Britis, if you are going to spend money on a teacher or recorded materials,

qwertyyy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Thank you very much for your response. I've never been to an English-speaking country and never had a chance to talk to a native speaker so I really have no idea how my accent sounds to other people. I'm very surprised that you say it's satisfactory. I thought it's really weird and not understandable.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I'm very surprised that you say it's satisfactory. I thought it's really weird and not understandable.
It is very easy to understand. Indeed, for many people, including many native speakers, your accent is easier to understand that some native English dialects.

It is possible that in unprepared conversation your accent slips, but you clearly know how to pronounce English when you have time to think about it.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I woudl choose British! It's a good example!
A good example of what? British English is no better, or worse, than any other dialect. It may be a better choice if one is going to live and work in an area in which BrE is commonly used, but that's different.

qwertyyy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I personally prefer American accent. I don't know why, probably it's because I have more contact with it- most of the movies are American etc. But I wish I could have ANY accent that would resemble the way any native speakers speak, no matter from what region of the world. It really irritates me that my English is so unperfect. Accent and pronunciation are an important element of the language and I don't understand why teachers at school pay so little attention to it...

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I personally prefer American accent. I don't know why, probably it's because I have more contact with it- most of the movies are American etc. But I wish I could have ANY accent that would resemble the way any native speakers speak, no matter from what region of the world. It really irritates me that my English is so unperfect. Accent and pronunciation are an important element of the language and I don't understand why teachers at school pay so little attention to it...
I don't think accent is so important. It may be important to some but generally it seems to be an issue of least concern. It doesn't have a crucial impact on your ability to communicate. It's certainly not irrelevant but it doesn't seem a major issue.

I found your accent very pleasant. It's far from being a thick Polish accent.

The need to master a native accent is understandable. If you really want to excel at pronouncing English words like some group of Americans, you will probably have to put a lot of effort into it. But if you just want to sound more or less American, it will probably come with time and watching those American films you mentioned. (Although not all films are American. ;-))

Last edited:

TomUK

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
UK
I don't understand why you want to have an American or British accent. As long as your pronounciation is correct, that's all what matters. I have come across quite a few Polish people in London and I always found it rather pleasing to the ear to hear them speaking English with a Polish accent. And unlike with some native English speakers I could actually understand what they were saying. So, unless you are an actor and need an American accent for a role, I wouldn' t bother trying to sound like a native speaker. If you manage to live in an English speaking country your accent will probably adjust over time to a certain degree anyway. Should anybody ridicule you for your accent, just ignore them and be proud to be Polish.

TomUK

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
As I suggested earlier, your accent is far from imperfect. Some teachers do indeed pay too little attention to pronununciation, but many do a good job. There is a compromise involved - if we insisted that all our students produced a near-perfect British (or American, Australian, etc) accent, then most learners would make very little progress indeed. The only way that most learners can acquire a 'perfect' accent is to live for some time in the country whose accent they wish to acquire, preferably when they are young. There are so many accents and dialects in the English-speaking world, that a non-native one, if it is clear, is no obstacle to anything.

As I also suggested earlier, an accent such as yours is far easier to understand that some native regional accents. Indeed, if, for some reason, you wish to be taken for a native speaker, then you would do better to try to speak with a strong regional accent, for example, Newcastle or Liverpool (England) or Glasgow (Scotland). The locals will know that you are not a native speaker, but nobody else will.

britintheUS

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
United States
I think what's most important is that you can communicate well, and I think you sound wonderful. I can hear you quite clearly and I think you've done a really good job.

I don't think any accent in particular matters too much, but I guess by surrounding yourself in the area with the accent of your choice, that would be much easier.
Maybe you could just keep working on your English and pronunciation and you'll form an accent of your own. :)

Wicked Pissah

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Def go with the American...oh, and speak more slowly...you sound like you're in a hurry...but over all, I think you did a great job!

qwertyyy

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I don't want to be taken for a native speaker, because I guess that wouldn't be possible to achieve at my age. I would only like my accent to sound more or less American or more or less British (or Australian, or whatever...), just to an extent that would make a native speaker notice and hear this one particular influence. Now I sound just...Polish and that's not the way REAL English should sound...

TomUK
Of course I'm TOTALLY proud of being Polish!:) It has nothing to do with wanting to improve my skills in English. I don't want to sound English when I speak Polish just like and I don't want to sound Polish when I speak English.

britintheUS I'm afraid that this already is "the accent of my own that I have formed". It probably won't change unless I put special effort into it...

Wicked Pissah, thanks! I'll try to slow down.
Why do you suggest American?

Wicked Pissah

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
cuz American is much more diverse and it's way cooler, lol. American culture is broad based and emulated around the globe...even Saddam Hussein loved American movies...right up until he got his neck stretched....the haters are jealous. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.