Poll: I worked there ___ the summer.

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: In\During

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Editor, UsingEnglish.com
    English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Japan

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 66,554
    #1

    In\During

    Are they the same?

  2. RonBee's Avatar
    Moderator
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,546
    #2

    Re: In\During

    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    Are they the same?
    No, they are not, but it can be a bit tricky. During refers to what happened while a certain amount of time has passed. In focuses more on the specific amount of time that has passed.

    Examples:

    • He did it during the summer.
      He did it in five hours.


    In the first sentence, we are given a vague idea of when the activity took place. In the second sentence, we are told exactly how long the activity lasted.

    How did I do, Teach?

    :wink:

  3. Newbie
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Afghanistan
      • Current Location:
      • Afghanistan

    • Join Date: Jul 2010
    • Posts: 1
    #3

    Smile Re: In\During

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    No, they are not, but it can be a bit tricky. During refers to what happened while a certain amount of time has passed. In focuses more on the specific amount of time that has passed.

    Examples:

    • He did it during the summer.
      He did it in five hours.

    In the first sentence, we are given a vague idea of when the activity took place. In the second sentence, we are told exactly how long the activity lasted.

    How did I do, Teach?

    :wink:
    it was very good teaching now i know the difference between IN and DURING thank you so much

  4. Key Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Somali
      • Home Country:
      • Somalia
      • Current Location:
      • Saudi Arabia

    • Join Date: Apr 2010
    • Posts: 2,991
    #4

    Re: In\During

    Quote Originally Posted by RonBee View Post
    No, they are not, but it can be a bit tricky. During refers to what happened while a certain amount of time has passed. In focuses more on the specific amount of time that has passed.

    Examples:

    • He did it during the summer.
      He did it in five hours.


    In the first sentence, we are given a vague idea of when the activity took place. In the second sentence, we are told exactly how long the activity lasted.

    How did I do, Teach?

    :wink:
    That is the answer!

  5. Willbut
    Guest
    #5
    'During' means that it didn't last all summer, in contrast to 'for the summer, etc, but 'in' would mean much the same to me. I might try to suggest that 'during' is longer, but I'm not entirely convinced.

  6. Senior Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • French
      • Home Country:
      • France
      • Current Location:
      • France

    • Join Date: Jun 2009
    • Posts: 620
    #6

    Question Re: In\During

    Quote Originally Posted by Willbut View Post
    'During' means that it didn't last all summer, in contrast to 'for the summer, etc, but 'in' would mean much the same to me. I might try to suggest that 'during' is longer, but I'm not entirely convinced.
    Hello Willbut,

    I do not understand why 'during' cannot mean all the summer. I give an example:

    I am building my house during the summer.

    With this sentence I want to say that I made this work all the summer. Maybe I am wrong but I think this sentence means exactly what I want to say.

    If you have a answer about this issue, I will take it.

    Thanks for your reply.

  7. RonBee's Avatar
    Moderator
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Feb 2003
    • Posts: 16,546
    #7
    It might be an AE/BE difference.

    :(


    • Join Date: Apr 2004
    • Posts: 67
    #8
    AE/BE....again? faint~
    it's not a good excuse

    i still wonder that which one is longger?
    i tought they are same~


    • Join Date: Apr 2004
    • Posts: 1,814
    #9

    Re: In\During

    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    Are they the same?

    I worked there during summer.
    -->meaning in summer,I worked there for a period of time, not the whole summer.

    If I'd like to put the preposition 'in' in this sentence, I think it should be,
    I worked there in the summer time.
    -->meaning I worked there for an entire summer time.

    Is that right?

    sabrina

  8. MikeNewYork's Avatar
    VIP Member
    Academic
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 24,583
    #10

    Re: In\During

    Quote Originally Posted by blacknomi
    Quote Originally Posted by tdol
    Are they the same?

    I worked there during summer.
    -->meaning in summer,I worked there for a period of time, not the whole summer.

    If I'd like to put the preposition 'in' in this sentence, I think it should be,
    I worked there in the summer time.
    -->meaning I worked there for an entire summer time.

    Is that right?

    sabrina
    I worked there in the summer. [It was summer when I worked there. No duration is discussed].
    I worked there during the summer. [It was summer when I worked there. A duration is suggested (activity over time) but the length of time is not specified.]

    These two could be exactly the same, but "during" suggests a longer period than "in".

    If the speaker worked there all summer, then "for the summer" would be more precise. :wink:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Last

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •