Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to give me your considered opinion concerning the usage of the Past Perfect and Simple Past in the following sentences?

Joan of Arc could not write even her name. She signed with a cross the declaration prepared for her – that all her visions and voices had come from the devil.
Neither the French King nor one single man in all his Court raised a finger to save her.

V.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Would you be kind enough to give me your considered opinion concerning the usage of the Past Perfect and Simple Past in the following sentences?

Joan of Arc could not write even her name. She signed with a cross the declaration prepared for her – that all her visions and voices had come from the devil.
Neither the French King nor one single man in all his Court raised a finger to save her.
They are fine. 'prepared' can be read as an ellipsis - that had been prepared; '...that all her visions and voices had come from the devil' is a form of reported speech - the actual words in the declaration were something like, "all my visions and voices came/have come ...".

vil

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Hi fivejedjon,

Thank you for your further information concerning the usage of tenses in the sentences above.

Everything comes to him who waits.

If you have more patience with me I hope we could to transform our ardent discussions in pleasant confabulations.

Thank you for your kindness.

V.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.