Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

    • Join Date: Aug 2011
    • Posts: 16
    #1

    Use of although

    Good afternoon. I would like to know in which of this phrases below the use of although is correct.

    1- it is a bit late, ......... I'd like to go out.
    2- I don't like him; ......... , I agree that he's a good manager.

    I know that to use although it's needed two clauses.
    There are two clauses in both phrases above but I think that in the 1 although suits better.
    In 2 I have doubts because of The punctuation that is being used.
    Help me please .
    Last edited by lucas_araujo_22; 13-Aug-2011 at 20:14.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Dutch
      • Home Country:
      • Europe
      • Current Location:
      • Europe

    • Join Date: Jul 2011
    • Posts: 173
    #2

    Re: Use of although

    In #1, the use of although would create an illogical situation.

    it is a bit late, (no comma) although I'd like to go out.

    It is not despite the fact that I would like to go out that it is late. Being late has nothing to do with what you would like to do. It is despite the fact that it is late that I would like to go out.

    Although it is late, I would like to....

    Sentence 2 needs a "however".

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Portuguese
      • Home Country:
      • Brazil
      • Current Location:
      • Brazil

    • Join Date: Aug 2011
    • Posts: 16
    #3

    Re: Use of although

    But is it possible to use although in 2 ?

  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,615
    #4

    Re: Use of although

    Quote Originally Posted by lucas_araujo_22 View Post
    But is it possible to use although in 2 ?
    Yes, it is.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Dutch
      • Home Country:
      • Europe
      • Current Location:
      • Europe

    • Join Date: Jul 2011
    • Posts: 173
    #5

    Re: Use of although

    Quote Originally Posted by lucas_araujo_22 View Post
    But is it possible to use although in 2 ?
    No. Logic and punctuation.

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,615
    #6

    Re: Use of although

    Quote Originally Posted by Afit View Post
    No. Logic and punctuation.
    I disagree, it may not be the best choice but it is possible.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Dutch
      • Home Country:
      • Europe
      • Current Location:
      • Europe

    • Join Date: Jul 2011
    • Posts: 173
    #7

    Re: Use of although

    I don't like him; although, I agree that he's a good manager. (original sentence)
    I don't like him; although I agree that he's a good manager.

  3. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #8

    Re: Use of although

    Quote Originally Posted by Afit View Post
    I don't like him; although, I agree that he's a good manager. (original sentence)
    I don't like him; although I agree that he's a good manager.
    I agree with you about the first sentence. I think the second is better with a comma.

    We can also have, if another speaker has said that 'he' is a good manager:
    I don't like him, although, I agree, he's a good manager.

    @lucas_araujo_22: You could use 'though' as an adverb in your first example, but only at the end:

    It is a bit late. I'd like to go out, though.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 57,864
    #9

    Re: Use of although

    Quote Originally Posted by Afit View Post

    Sentence 2 needs a "however".
    With that punctuation?

  4. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #10

    Re: Use of although

    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    With that punctuation?
    I don't like him; however, I agree that he's a good manager.

    That seems acceptable to me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •