Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. keannu's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

    • Join Date: Dec 2010
    • Posts: 5,226
    #1

    stiffly popping

    In basketball, when the ball goes into the net stiffly, what does it mean? Very tightly in the center?

    ex),....The ball curved cleanly into the basket, stiffly popping the chain-link net...

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 24,479
    #2

    Re: stiffly popping

    I know next to nothing about basketball, but dare to suggest that the above sentence is complete claptrap.

    Rover

  2. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,832
    #3

    Re: stiffly popping

    It sounds like the random tripe that sports commentators (both spoken and written) would come up with to make sport sound more interesting!

  3. keannu's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

    • Join Date: Dec 2010
    • Posts: 5,226
    #4

    Re: stiffly popping

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    It sounds like the random tripe that sports commentators (both spoken and written) would come up with to make sport sound more interesting!
    But just let me know what it rougly means even though it sounds like nonsense or greek.

  4. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,832
    #5

    Re: stiffly popping

    Quote Originally Posted by keannu View Post
    But just let me know what it rougly means even though it sounds like nonsense or greek.
    I'm having trouble with working out even what it might "roughly" mean! I don't see how anything can do anything "stiffly" to a chain-link net, as a chain-link net is by definition fairly floppy and movable, not stiff.

    I also don't see how it could "pop" it. It could "pop in" the net but "to pop the net"? Mystery. Sorry.

  5. keannu's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

    • Join Date: Dec 2010
    • Posts: 5,226
    #6

    Re: stiffly popping

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    I'm having trouble with working out even what it might "roughly" mean! I don't see how anything can do anything "stiffly" to a chain-link net, as a chain-link net is by definition fairly floppy and movable, not stiff.

    I also don't see how it could "pop" it. It could "pop in" the net but "to pop the net"? Mystery. Sorry.
    Acutally, it was written, I mean, the whole story was written by a Korean, judging from an exlamation "Um-mah" which means "mother" in Korean, Every other phrase was perfect English, but there must been some Korean style translation or inproper English like this, I can guess. Thank you anyway!!!

Similar Threads

  1. stiffly tumbling bodies
    By Bushwhacker in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 23-Nov-2009, 23:22

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •