Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Doesn't widely work here? Is it because wide is the result? I don't get it.

ex)Once this tree is older, it will grow (wide/widely) like the others in the forest.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Not for me- it's a resultative adjective describing the tree, not the distribution of trees. Grow widely would mean that it could be found in many areas. It seems a funny choice of adjective, though; broad might work better.

Afit

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Europe
In the English language, "verb plus adjective" constructions are one of the heaviest minefields (to me).

The tree grows bigger and bigger. (bigger = adjective)
The tree grows. :tick:

It is a non-copular usage of "grow".

In this sentence, the verb grow "retains" its full motion sense and the adverbial modifier is disguised in an adjective's garb.

------------------------

EDIT: The tree grows wide.
The tree becomes widepsread.
The tree grows.

I can't think of a pred. nom. complementation with "grow", which further distances "grow" from the true copula class.
This is again non-prototypical copula usage.

Last edited:

Afit

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Europe
I meant wide, not wild. :oops:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

And you used "wide" (not "wild") throughout your post as did all the people who commented.

Afit

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Europe
And you used "wide" (not "wild") throughout your post as did all the people who commented.

In the English language, "verb plus adjective" constructions are one of the heaviest minefields (to me).

;-)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

I just meant that a wide tree isn't a particularly natural sounding phrase to me- others may use it, though. :-D

Afit

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Europe
EDIT: The tree grows wide.
The tree becomes widepsread.
The tree grows.

Is "The tree becomes widespread" a possible paraphrase for "The tree grows wide?" On second reading, I have to wave good-bye to my confidence.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I have to say that this thread is becoming a little surreal for me. The original question was about "Once this tree is older, it will grow (wide/widely) like the others in the forest".

I did not respond to the original post, because I did not know what the correct answer was supposed to be. I still don't.

I have tried to compose sentences with wide, widely, wild, wildly, widespread, but cannot come up with one that sounds natural to me.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have to say that this thread is becoming a little surreal for me. The original question was about "Once this tree is older, it will grow (wide/widely) like the others in the forest".

I did not respond to the original post, because I did not know what the correct answer was supposed to be. I still don't.

I have tried to compose sentences with wide, widely, wild, wildly, widespread, but cannot come up with one that sounds natural to me.

I know the feeling!

I don't think trees "grow wide". I think tree trunks grow to be wide. Perhaps the span of a tree can grow to be wide.

Describe that tree.
It's wide.
Did it grow that way?

I now can't answer that question! I would happily say that a tree grows tall but not that it grows wide. Hmmm, perhaps we have stumbled upon another great enigma of the English language.

Hedwig

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
So, what adjective would we use to describe a tree with an enormous crown, say, 8 metres in diameter?

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
So, what adjective would we use to describe a tree with an enormous crown, say, 8 metres in diameter?

Well, that's the problem. I would describe that tree as wide. My problem was with using the word "wide" after the verb "to grow".

It is wide = that sounds fine.
The tree grows/grew wide = that sounds unnatural.

As I said before, I am having trouble thinking of a suitable word to put after "to grow" which would mean the same!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Well, that's the problem. I would describe that tree as wide. My problem was with using the word "wide" after the verb "to grow". [...]

As I said before, I am having trouble thinking of a suitable word to put after "to grow" which would mean the same!
I think I might well say just "it's big (round)". I have a similar problem with what to say after 'grow'. I think I'd probably just use 'big', reserving 'tall' for the height.

Afit

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Dutch
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Europe
The tree is growing broad.
The tree is getting wider.

Are they okay, and are they more or less equal?

Status
Not open for further replies.