• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

coulld have been vs will have been

I've been reading a "Fast track to FCE" and I've come by an extract that says that the below mentioned sentences are equally acceptable.

#1 In ten years' time, solutions will have been found for many of the world's problems.

#2 In ten years' time, solutions could have been found for many of the world's problems.

3# In ten years' time, solutions may have been found for many of the world's problems.

I'm guessing there would be the difference in probability of the future event?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: coulld have been vs will have been

Quote Originally Posted by ostap77 View Post
    I've been reading a "Fast track to FCE" and I've come by an extract that says that the below mentioned sentences are equally acceptable.

#1 In ten years' time, solutions will have been found for many of the world's problems.

#2 In ten years' time, solutions could have been found for many of the world's problems.

3# In ten years' time, solutions may have been found for many of the world's problems.

I'm guessing there would be the difference in probability of the future event?
    2 and 3 are very similar but sentence 1 suggests that it's definite that those solutions will have been found. 2 and 3 only suggest possibility.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    2 and 3 are very similar but sentence 1 suggests that it's definite that those solutions will have been found. 2 and 3 only suggest possibility.
    Would it it apply to the present perfect progressive?

#1 In ten years' time, they will have been trying to find the solution for many of the world's problems.

#2 In ten years' time, they could have been trying to find the solutuion for many of the world's problems.

3# In ten years' time, they may have been trying to find the solution for many of the world's problems.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Would it it apply to the present perfect progressive?

#1 In ten years' time, they will have been trying to find the solution for many of the world's problems.

#2 In ten years' time, they could have been trying to find the solutuion for many of the world's problems.

3# In ten years' time, they may have been trying to find the solution for many of the world's problems.
    2 and 3 are unlikely sentences but the general idea would remain the same. The tense is unimportant. The important words are "will", "could" and "may".

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    2 and 3 are unlikely sentences but the general idea would remain the same. The tense is unimportant. The important words are "will", "could" and "may".
    How about a guy stays at a tropical resort but he doesn't have enough money? So he goes "I could hve been staying here 75 days next months but I've got to go home."?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

How about a guy stays at a tropical resort but he doesn't have enough money? So he goes "I could have been staying here 75 days next months but I've got to go home."?
    No

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Ukrainian
      • Home Country:
      • Ukraine
      • Current Location:
      • Ukraine

Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    No
    What about the whole sentence? If I'm 99,94 percent sure that I'm not going to stay any longer because things turned out to be otherwise?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

What about the whole sentence? If I'm 99,94 percent sure that I'm not going to stay any longer because things turned out to be otherwise?
    ostap, we've been through this before. If you really want to stretch points as far as you can, it's possible to say just about anything in English - and probably in most other languages.

So, the flippant answer to many of your questions is 'yes' (or 'no', as appropriate). I try, as I know others do, to come up with contexts in which the unlikely is possible. Sometimes, however I think, "What's the point?" This is one of those times.