Results 1 to 10 of 10
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

    • Join Date: Mar 2011
    • Posts: 40
    #1

    ~ing vs ~ed

    (_________ ) to remain the unconcerned observer, Larry rejects Susan's demands for some emotional response.

    (a) Determining
    (b) Determined
    (c) Having determined
    (d) Having been determined


    Please tell me the right answer of the question and explain why.
    Last edited by ddablo; 15-Aug-2011 at 02:46.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jan 2011
    • Posts: 248
    #2

    Re: ~ing vs ~ed

    Quote Originally Posted by ddablo View Post
    (_________ ) to remain the unconcerned observer, Larry rejects Susan's demands for some emotional response.

    (a) Determining
    (b) Determined
    (c) Having determined
    (d) Having been determined


    Please tell me the right answer of the question and explain why.
    Looks like homework so I won't give you the answer. Instead, propose which answer you think is correct and substantiate your response and see what the forum reply is.

    Not a teacher -- AmE native

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

    • Join Date: Mar 2011
    • Posts: 40
    #3

    Re: ~ing vs ~ed

    Quote Originally Posted by allenman View Post
    Looks like homework so I won't give you the answer. Instead, propose which answer you think is correct and substantiate your response and see what the forum reply is.

    Not a teacher -- AmE native
    Oh, I'm not a student, allenman. I'm just the one who is interested in English.
    Actually my book, whose author is non native speaker, says the answer is (b) but I think (a) also might be the correct answer.
    That was why I posted this question.
    Could you possibly answer me this question with grammatical explanation?

  1. Bennevis's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: Aug 2011
    • Posts: 1,052
    #4

    Re: ~ing vs ~ed

    I agree with b being the correct answer. It immediately comes to mind when you first see this sentence. The guy is determined = He's made up his mind. Any other option would be just wrong. What you need to consider here is the way such words are normally used in English. This comes with experience. I guess, in the end, it's all about reading quality literature.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

    • Join Date: Aug 2011
    • Posts: 47
    #5

    Re: ~ing vs ~ed

    I’m not a teacher.

    Like you, I choose (a) determining

    When there are two actions with the same subject in one sentence (including main clause and dependent clause), we can use:
    - V-ing form to start dependent clause: if the two actions happen at the same time
    - V-ed form / past participle to start dependent clause: in passive voice.

    The original sentence:

    Because Larry determines to remain the unconcerned observer (dependent clause), Larry rejects Susan's demands for some emotional response (main clause)

    is changed to:

    Determining to remain the unconcerned observer, Larry rejects Susan's demands for some emotional response.

    That’s for your reference.

  2. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #6

    Re: ~ing vs ~ed

    Quote Originally Posted by Bennevis View Post
    I agree with b being the correct answer. It immediately comes to mind when you first see this sentence. The guy is determined = He's made up his mind. Any other option would be just wrong.
    It is correct, but it is not the only possible answer:
    Quote Originally Posted by Gentle Nguyen View Post
    e voice.

    The original sentence:

    Because Larry determines to remain the unconcerned observer (dependent clause), Larry rejects Susan's demands for some emotional response (main clause)

    is changed to:

    Determining to remain the unconcerned observer, Larry rejects Susan's demands for some emotional response.
    I agree.

  3. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,109
    #7

    Re: ~ing vs ~ed

    a, b, and c work. b is the most likely.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

    • Join Date: Mar 2011
    • Posts: 40
    #8

    Re: ~ing vs ~ed

    Thank you for all the above answers.
    By the way, are there any differences of meaning between (a) and (b)?
    It looks like they are similar.

  4. 5jj's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 28,134
    #9

    Re: ~ing vs ~ed

    Quote Originally Posted by ddablo View Post
    Thank you for all the above answers.
    By the way, are there any differences of meaning between (a) and (b)?
    It looks like they are similar.
    There are differences . Gentle Nguyen explained the meaning of (a), Bennevis that of (b).

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Korean
      • Home Country:
      • South Korea
      • Current Location:
      • South Korea

    • Join Date: Mar 2011
    • Posts: 40
    #10

    Re: ~ing vs ~ed

    Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    There are differences . Gentle Nguyen explained the meaning of (a), Bennevis that of (b).
    Thanks for helping me, fivejedjon.

Similar Threads

  1. when+ ing / whilst + ing
    By Ochinoam in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 31-Jul-2009, 14:42
  2. Would Have Had to Have Been -ing
    By HSS in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-Jun-2007, 17:05
  3. to - ing
    By ashraffaris in forum Teaching English
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 29-May-2007, 12:36
  4. -ing?
    By minnie2007 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 21-May-2007, 09:46
  5. verbs with-ing and without-ing
    By diplomacy in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-Apr-2007, 03:04

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •