Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Kazakhstan
Current Location
Kazakhstan
The other day I went to the movies to see Rise of the Planet of the Apes. And I'm wondering why the director and the whole production group decided to keep the articles in the title? Why didn't they go with just The Apes Planet Rise. Or it sounds bad? And it's not just the articles. It's the "ofs" in the title that made me think too. I'm asking this because most of today's movies are entitled with simple names to catch the eyes of the audience. What can you say about that? Or am I wrong thinking this way?
All your thoughts and opinions will be appreciated.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Sequels/Prequels are very often gven some such titles as '(The) Return/Vengeance/Son/etc of X' . If they had just used 'The Ape(s) Planet', reference to the Original version would have been lost.

[FONT=&quot]The Original ‘Planet of the Apes’ was followed by ‘Beneath the Planet of the Apes’, ‘Escape from the Planet of the Apes’, ‘Conquest of the Planet of the Apes' and ‘Battle for the Planet of the Apes’.[/FONT]

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The other day I went to the movies to see Rise of the Planet of the Apes. And I'm wondering why the director and the whole production group decided to keep the articles in the title? Why didn't they go with just The Apes Planet Rise. Or it sounds bad? And it's not just the articles. It's the "ofs" in the title that made me think too. I'm asking this because most of today's movies are entitled with simple names to catch the eyes of the audience. What can you say about that? Or am I wrong thinking this way?
All your thoughts and opinions will be appreciated.

The original film was "Planet of the Apes", not "Ape Planet" so they're simply retaining the structure of the original to continue with the run of films.

There's also the fact that "the rise of" or "the fall of" are common phrases to do with many things, political, geographical etc.

The Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire
Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines

Dready

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Kazakhstan
Current Location
Kazakhstan
Thank you for your response. Now I get it.

Hedwig

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
[FONT=&quot]The Original ‘Planet of the Apes’ was followed by ‘Beneath the Planet of the Apes’, ‘Escape from the Planet of the Apes’, ‘Conquest of the Planet of the Apes' and ‘Battle for the Planet of the Apes’.[/FONT]

I've only seen the first one. Have I missed a lot?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

In my opinion, no. The first was great but as so frequently happens with sequel after sequel, they've degenerated. I've heard some quite good things about the latest one but I'll take some convincing.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

He was talking about the original series of movies from the 1970s. The present movie is the second in the modern era.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
He was talking about the original series of movies from the 1970s. The present movie is the second in the modern era.

I haven't seen the updated one. I was only talking about the original movies. As a rule, I avoid remakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.