on or in the calendar, on or in behalf, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MYE_SUYAT

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Canada
Hi.

I have these questions that I encounter almost daily in my workplace.

When talking about the Lotus Notes calendar, do I use "on the calendar" or "in the calendar"?

Is it "on behalf" or "in behalf"?

Is it "take him off the list" or "take him off of the list"?

Is it send to me or send me?

Is it forward to me or forward me?

How do you answer the question "How's everything going?" Somebody told me that to answer "Good" is not appropriate as it is not the same as "How are you?"

Thank you very much.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi.

When talking about the Lotus Notes calendar, do I use "on the calendar" or "in the calendar"?
I have no idea what a "Lotus Notes" calendar is, but generally we use "on the calendar" or "in the diary".

Is it "on behalf" or "in behalf"? I have never heard "in behalf". Always "on behalf (of)"

Is it "take him off the list" or "take him off of the list"? "Off of" is one of those very irritating habits that a lot of native speakers have. It's wrong. "Take him off the list" is fine.

Is it send to me or send me? "You have a letter. Send it to me" or "Send me the letter". Word order is important.

Is it forward to me or forward me? Same as previous answer. "Forward it to me" or "Forward me the email".

How do you answer the question "How's everything going?" Somebody told me that to answer "Good" is not appropriate as it is not the same as "How are you?"
There's nothing wrong with saying "Good". If you want to be precise, you would say "Everything is going well, thank you" but that is very formal. If someone is going to informally ask you "How's everything going?" you can say what you like in response. "Good", "Very well", "Fine", "Great", "Terrible" etc.

Thank you very much.

Context is important (as it always is) but I have added above my opinions.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi.

When talking about the Lotus Notes calendar, do I use "on the calendar" or "in the calendar"? Either is OK, but a difference could be whether you are speaking about the output/hard copy, in which case I would use "on" as in, 'I saw it saw it posted on the calendar' OR speaking about entering data "in" or "into" the calendar.

Is it "on behalf" or "in behalf"? "On behalf" but you will hear/read "in"

Is it "take him off the list" or "take him off of the list"? Use "take him off".

Is it send to me or send me? Either is OK, but "send me" is most often heard/read. "Send to me" is more forceful/direct/formal.

Is it forward to me or forward me? Same as above, but with "forward me"

How do you answer the question "How's everything going?" Somebody told me that to answer "Good" is not appropriate as it is not the same as "How are you?" I, and many other AmE speakers, would respond, "fine thanks" or "not well".

Thank you very much.

b.

Last edited:

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi.

Is it "on behalf" or "in behalf"?

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

(1) I may be very wrong, but this is how I understand it:

(a) The preposition depends on the form of the calendar.

(i) If it is a regular wall calendar (that is, a flat piece of paper). it might

be better to say, for example: I'm going to write that date on my calendar.

(ii) If the calendar is in the form of a book, then it might be better to

use in.

(2) According to some people here in the United States:

(a) I am speaking on behalf of Mr. Smith. = he has hired me to officially

represent him.

(b) I am speaking in behalf of suffering mankind. = I am taking it upon myself to

speak for all the people who are suffering in this world. I feel that it is my moral

duty to do so. If I were being mistreated, I would hope that some people somewhere

would speak in my behalf.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I've never heard "in" used with "behalf."

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I've never heard "in" used with "behalf."

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

(1) "Although many good writers ... don't [ my emphasis] insist on any distinction,

more do [my emphasis] make one.They maintain that in behalf of means for the

benefit of or as a champion or friend: 'A large sum was raised ... in behalf of ailing

children.' On behalf of ... means as the agent of or in place of: 'The lawyer entered

a not guilty plea on behalf of the defendant.' "

Source:Bernstein, Theodore M. Dos, Don'ts & Maybes of English Usage. New York Times Book Company, 1977.

(2) "[In behalf of] means 'in the interest or for the benefit of ' <he fought in behalf of a

just man's reputation>; [on behalf of] means 'as the agent or representative of ' <on

behalf of the garden club, I would like to thank our luncheon speaker>."

Source: Garner, Bryan A. A Dictionary of Modern American Usage. Oxford
University Press, 1998.

"[The Oxford English Dictionary] shows that the 'agent' sense is older; the 'benefit'

sense ... developed from it in Shakespeare's time. But Shakespeare himself used

both in and on in this sense. ...Modern British usage appears to favor on in all

instances, but both ... are used interchangeably in American English."

SOURCE: Webster's Dictionary of English Usage. Merriam-Webster Publishers, 1989.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'd like to say a word in her behalf:
Maria makes me laugh.
(From 'How do you solve a problem like Maria?' - The Sound of Music by Rodgers and Hammerstein.)

That's the only place I've heard 'in behalf'.

Rover

Status
Not open for further replies.