Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi all,
I wonder which one of these three words is more common " he has been hospitalized/ confined to bed/bedridden for depression"

Can anyone help please?

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
Hi all,
I wonder which one of these three words is more common " he has been hospitalized/ confined to bed/bedridden for depression"

Can anyone help please?
They are not quite the same. Bedridden means that someone is too sick or weak to leave their bed. Confined to bed can mean the same thing, but sometimes with the additional implication that someone (i.e. a doctor or other authority) has mandated this. Hospitalized means that a person has been admitted to a hospital, where they may or may not be confined to bed. They are all commonly used terms.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi all,

Can anyone help please?

This probably isn't relevant, but I would only find it likely that someone would be hospitalised as a result of depression. Being confined to bed or being too weak (too sick) to move would be unlikely results of depression (although severe depression may leave the sufferer unwilling to get out of bed).

shabani

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thanks to you both:)...that really helped

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
This probably isn't relevant, but I would only find it likely that someone would be hospitalised as a result of depression. Being confined to bed or being too weak (too sick) to move would be unlikely results of depression (although severe depression may leave the sufferer unwilling to get out of bed).
Mild to moderate depression can make a person unwilling to get out of bed. Severe depression with psychomotor retardation can lead to an almost catatonic state, for which 'bedridden' would not be an inappropriate description. Such a person would be seriously considered for ECT. Describing the severity of depression (or anything else) depends on the degree of the illness that one is used to seeing.
I agree that confining someone to bed is not a normal treatment for depression.

Status
Not open for further replies.