English Teacher
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Somewhere I read:
In tag questions, "the first part is positive and the second part is usually negative" and "the first part is negative and the second part is usually positive".
Why is that? Usually!? Isn't it always? If the sentences above are right, could you please give some examples?

Verona_82

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Ukraine
Not a teacher.

Since I joined this forum, I've become far more cautious using 'always' and 'never'. 'As a rule' has proved to be a much safer phrase ;-)

You might find the examples below useful.

Let's go to the cinema, shall we?
I'll hold that for you, shall I?
Hand me the knife, will you please?
This is the final match of the season, is it? ~ Yes, that's right.
So you can run a mile in four minutes, can you?
So you're getting married, are you? How nice!

You can make a positive statement (to make a guess, expess interest, surprise or concern) and then add a non-negative tag to ask if the assumption is correct (same-way tags).

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Since I joined this forum, I've become far more cautious using 'always' and 'never'. 'As a rule' has proved to be a much safer phrase
Very wise. I never say 'never.;-)

Note to those who don't know the expression - 'as a rule' means 'generally', 'normally', 'what we usually expect'. It does not mean that it is a rule that must always be followed.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
While a postivie statement, positive tag is common enough (as shown in those great examples), I can't say I can think of a negative statement, negative tag that sounds anything close to normal. Can you?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
While a postivie statement, positive tag is common enough (as shown in those great examples), I can't say I can think of a negative statement, negative tag that sounds anything close to normal. Can you?
"So you aren't going to do your homework, aren't you? - said threateningly by a parent who is going to ensure that defiant son is going to do his homework

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
"So you aren't going to do your homework, aren't you? - said threateningly by a parent who is going to ensure that defiant son is going to do his homework

"And you're going to make me do my homework, are you?" would make an ideal reply.

Negative/negative is not that common- it is hard to think of examples.

Status
Not open for further replies.