Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I've read that in a proper context "supposed to" may be used to ask for permission. Would it be accurate? If I wanted to smoke in the room, could I say "Am I supposed to smoke in the room?" or if there was a printer in the office, could I say "Am I supposed to use this printer?"?

riquecohen

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Brazil
I've read that in a proper context "supposed to" may be used to ask for permission. Would it be accurate? If I wanted to smoke in the room, could I say "Am I supposed to smoke in the room?" or if there was a printer in the office, could I say "Am I supposed to use this printer?"?
In your sentences, you are essentially asking if you are required to smoke or use the printer. If there were a choice of printers or places to smoke, you could ask, "Am I supposed to use this printer (or the one in the other room)?" That is not exactly the same as asking permission.
"Be supposed to has a meaning rather like should. It is used to talk about what people have to do according to the rules or the law, or about what is expected to happen." Michael Swan, Practical English Usage.
Look also here. supposed to - Wiktionary

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I agree. Americans use "supposed to" a lot. It's like "must".

Declarative sentences:
You are supposed to respect your parents.
You are supposed to take care of your parents when they get old.
You are supposed to come to work on time.

In a question:
Am I supposed to believe everything those guys are saying after what they did to you? I don't think so.
Am I supposed to take the garbage out too?

Negative sentences:
You are not supposed to smoke here.
They are not supposed to do your job. They got other things to mind.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
No, it doesn't work that way.
In the negative form, though, "You're not supposed to use that" usually means something like "You're not allowed to use that."
"You're not supposed to smoke in here" ~ "You're not allowed to smoke in here."

A: Am I allowed to use this printer?
B: No, you're supposed to use the one in the other room.

Status
Not open for further replies.