• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Belarus
      • Current Location:
      • Belarus

Question NOW that obscures me

These are the sentences from The Cinderella story, and though I've looked through all the meanings of the word in a dictionary, I don't quite catch in what sense NOW is used in here:

[...] "Now it happened that the king of the land held a feast which was to last three days, and out of those who came to it his son was to choose a bride for himself; and Cinderella's two sisters were asked to come. So they called Cinderella, and said, "Now, comb our hair, brush our shoes, and tie our sashes for us, for we are going to dance at the king's feast."

And one more:

[...] "Now when all were gone, and nobody left at home, Cinderella went sorrowfully and sat down under the hazel-tree, and cried out-- "Shake, shake, hazel-tree, gold and silver over me!" [...]"

Thanks

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

Re: NOW that obscures me

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Bright View Post
    These are the sentences from The Cinderella story, and though I've looked through all the meanings of the word in a dictionary, I don't quite catch in what sense NOW is used in here:

[...] "Now it happened that the king of the land held a feast which was to last three days, and out of those who came to it his son was to choose a bride for himself; and Cinderella's two sisters were asked to come. So they called Cinderella, and said, "Now, comb our hair, brush our shoes, and tie our sashes for us, for we are going to dance at the king's feast."

And one more:

[...] "Now when all were gone, and nobody left at home, Cinderella went sorrowfully and sat down under the hazel-tree, and cried out-- "Shake, shake, hazel-tree, gold and silver over me!" [...]"

Thanks
    Here, it functions merely as a non-specific interjection, like "Well, ...; Ok then, so ...; Anyhow, ..."