Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Swedish
Home Country
Sweden
Current Location
Thailand
Does "had married" have the same meaning as "was married with" ?

SirGod

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Romanian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
Romania
* Not a teacher

Not really. The second one tells you certainly that she/he is not married any more (one of them died, they divorced etc.). Also, I would use married to. The first one depends on the context.

~Mav~

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Europe
*** NOT A TEACHER ***

The second one tells you certainly that she/he is not married any more (one of them died, they divorced etc.).
With all due respect, that's not so. As always, context makes it clear whether s/he is still married or not. ;-)
It was only a couple of days ago that the same question cropped up. Then fivejedjon provided an excellent answer:

As others have said suggested, context is very important.

The new manager seemed to fancy me, but I was married, so nothing happened. My wife still laughs about it. (I am still married)
I was married when I first met Jill, but my wife left me the following year, and we divorced soon after. (I am no longer married to that wife).

I was a police officer when we married, so my wife knew I'd have to work unsocial hours at times. She soon got used to it, and doesn't complain any more. ( I am still a police officer.)
I was a police officer for twenty years. Then I had a bad accident and was pensioned off. (I am no longer a police officer.).,

:up:

SirGod

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Romanian
Home Country
Romania
Current Location
Romania
Thank you, ~May~. I haven't thought about that. As you said, fivejedjon gave an excellent answer.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Note that we are married 'to', not married 'with', somebody.

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thank you, ~May~. I haven't thought about that. As you said, fivejedjon gave an excellent answer.
I hope you have. I think you mean, "I hadn't thought about that." or "I didn't think of that."
That is, "I hadn't thought about that until you mentioned it. Now I have, and I understand it."

Status
Not open for further replies.