Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
This is quite a phylosophical writing.
By "no self there to meet", is it himself or any universal self?
And what do you mean by "salt of personhood"? Is it something to enhance personhood?

ex)The other day an acquaintance of mine, a sociable and charming man, told me he had found himself unexpectedly 'alone' in New York for an hour or two between appointments. He went to the Whitney Museum and spent the 'empty' time looking at things by himself. For him it proved to be a shock nearly as great as falling in love to discover that he could enjoy himself so much alone.
...He is about to be launched into his own inner space, space as immense,
unexplored, and sometimes frightening as outer space to the astronaut. His every perception will come to him with a new freshness and, for a time,seem startlingly original......
What had he been afraid of? I asked myself. That, suddenly alone, he would discover that he bored himself, or that there was , quite simply, no self there to meet?.....
..."Music I heard with you was more than music." Exactly, And therefore music 'itself ' can only be heard alone. Solitude is the salt of personhood. It bring out the authentic flavor of every experience....

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I've read the original online (All Sounds To Silence Come: The Rewards of Living a Solitary Life). By "no self there to meet" the author must have meant either that he was there all alone with no other people around, no one to mislead or confuse you.

"With another human being present vision becomes double vision, inevitably. We are busy wondering, what does my companion see or think of this, and what do I think of it? The original impact gets lost, or diffused."

"The salt of personhood" must imply that solitude can bring a lot of excitement into life, can help you appreciate life, help you perceive its enigmatic ways.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I've read the original online (All Sounds To Silence Come: The Rewards of Living a Solitary Life). By "no self there to meet" the author must have meant either that he was there all alone with no other people around, no one to mislead or confuse you.

"With another human being present vision becomes double vision, inevitably. We are busy wondering, what does my companion see or think of this, and what do I think of it? The original impact gets lost, or diffused."

"The salt of personhood" must imply that solitude can bring a lot of excitement into life, can help you appreciate life, help you perceive its enigmatic ways.

Who wrote this stuff. Dear oh dear. The word is 'philosophical' but I don't think it's appropriate for this vapid and inarticulate nonsense. :)

b

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I have read through it twice, and find it well written and thoughtful. Well, de gustibus...

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
This is quite a phylosophical writing.
By "no self there to meet", is it himself or any universal self?
No, "no self" is literal. If it was himself or a universal self or any other self, it wouldn't be 'no self'.
Compare: "He had no car". Would that be a Ford, or a Hyundai, or some other brand?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Who wrote this stuff. Dear oh dear. The word is 'philosophical' but I don't think it's appropriate for this vapid and inarticulate nonsense. :)

b

I'm embarrassed to say that I hit "Like" on your post without actually reading the blog to which the thread refers. Having read only the short quote given, I agreed with you entirely. Then I clicked on the link and read the blog and have changed my opinion! I really liked it. It actually made me think long and hard about the times I have lived alone, my friends who live alone (some love it, some hate it) and other friends who are staying in bad relationships simply because they are too scared to be alone.

Each to his own though, as we find ourselves saying time and again here! :-D

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I can be a bit quick on the draw ;-) (Feel free to unlike!)

b

Oooh, no. I never go back on a like. They're like blog posts - once written and published, stand by them, no matter what!

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Oooh, no. I never go back on a like. They're like blog posts - once written and published, stand by them, no matter what!

Always trust a droid of conviction.

Status
Not open for further replies.