Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Canada
For example, animals compete over water supplies, food, mates, and other biological resources. Humans compete for water, food, and mates, though when these needs are met deep rivalries often arise over the pursuit of wealth, prestige, and fame.

I found the above sentences from wikipedia.

When I told other plants can't compete with a tree over the sunlight, sombody said compete for sunlight.

The tree grows so fast and gets too tall that it provides dense shade so that other plants can't [STRIKE]compite[/STRIKE] compete with
it over the sun light for sunlight.

I'm confused. Could you please clear up my confusion.

Thank you so much.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
For example, animals compete over water supplies, food, mates, and other biological resources. Humans compete for water, food, and mates, though when these needs are met deep rivalries often arise over the pursuit of wealth, prestige, and fame.

I found the above sentences from wikipedia.

When I told other plants can't compete with a tree over the sunlight, sombody said compete for sunlight.

The tree grows so fast and gets too tall that it provides dense shade so that other plants can't [STRIKE]compite[/STRIKE] compete with
it over the sun light for sunlight.

I'm confused. Could you please clear up my confusion.

Thank you so much.

I'm confused too. What is your question? If it's a choice between 'over' and 'for', I would most often go with 'for'.

arzgol

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Canada
You mean If I say animals compete with each other over nest , food, and other resources , my sentence is wrong!

When we use the preposition ''for'' and ''over'' whit the verb ''compete''.

Thank you so much. Learning English seems easy, but in my view, it is really tough to master it.

billmcd

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You mean If I say animals compete with each other over nest , food, and other resources , my sentence is wrong!

When we use the preposition ''for'' and ''over'' [STRIKE]whit[/STRIKE] with the verb ''compete''.

Thank you so much. Learning English seems easy, but in my view, it is really tough to master it.

No. I mean that I prefer "for". Don't worry. I know that I would have trouble learning your language as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.