Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. faryan's Avatar
    Senior Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Apr 2010
    • Posts: 533
    #1

    Wink tell me if I'm wrong

    Would you please tell me if I'm wrong?
    The sound of letter " c " changes to / s / rather than / k / in the case the letter be followed by " y, i or e "?
    What letters can change the sound of " g " to / dʒ / than / g / ?

  2. 5jj's Avatar
    VIP Member
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 27,915
    #2

    Re: tell me if I'm wrong

    Quote Originally Posted by faryan View Post
    Would you please tell me if I'm wrong?
    The sound of letter " c " changes to / s / rather than / k / in the case when the letter be is followed by " y, i or e "? Almost always.
    What letters can change the sound of " g " to / dʒ / than /g/ ?
    When g is preceded by d and followed by e, i, or y, the pronunciation is always /dʒ/.
    Apart from this, it is normally pronounced /g/ in all other positions except before e, i, or y. Before those letters, you just have to use a dictionary to find out whether it is /g/ or /dʒ/.

    Not also the pronunciation of 'exaggerate' and 'suggest'.

  3. faryan's Avatar
    Senior Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Apr 2010
    • Posts: 533
    #3

    Re: tell me if I'm wrong

    Thank dear Five.

  4. konungursvia's Avatar
    VIP Member
    Academic
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

    • Join Date: Mar 2009
    • Posts: 5,106
    #4

    Re: tell me if I'm wrong

    Quote Originally Posted by fivejedjon View Post
    When g is preceded by d and followed by e, i, or y, the pronunciation is always /dʒ/.
    Apart from this, it is normally pronounced /g/ in all other positions except before e, i, or y. Before those letters, you just have to use a dictionary to find out whether it is /g/ or /dʒ/.

    Not also the pronunciation of 'exaggerate' and 'suggest'.
    I can offer a refinement: G and C follow become /d3/ and /s/ in words of French origin after e, i, and y, but in words of Anglo-Saxon origin, e.g. "get," the rule doesn't apply.

  5. 5jj's Avatar
    VIP Member
    Retired English Teacher
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Czech Republic

    • Join Date: Oct 2010
    • Posts: 27,915
    #5

    Re: tell me if I'm wrong

    Quote Originally Posted by konungursvia View Post
    I can offer a refinement: G and C follow become /d3/ and /s/ in words of French origin after e, i, and y, but in words of Anglo-Saxon origin, e.g. "get," the rule doesn't apply.
    True. The problem for many learners is that they frequently don't know if a word is of French or Anglo-Saxon origin. It's a very helpful tip for learners who speak French - and probably most other Romance languages.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •