Does "freezed" really exist?

• Thread starter Anonymous
  • Start date
  • Views : 110,141
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anonymous

As a non english native speaker I' m wondering if "freezed" is getting usual because it can be found in search engines about 14 000 times. You can also find frozen and freezed on the same website (e.g. frozen food and freezed dried shrimps). Can anyone help me? :?:

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Anonymous said:
As a non english native speaker I' m wondering if "freezed" is getting usual because it can be found in search engines about 14 000 times. You can also find frozen and freezed on the same website (e.g. frozen food and freezed dried shrimps). Can anyone help me? :?:

I've heard of freeze dried shrimp, but never freezed dried shrimp, until now that is. :D

Of the 14,000 or so times 'freezed' was picked up by the search engines, there's a possibility that the majority, if not all, have been regularized by speakers from the irregular form 'froze'.

That is, it could be that some people don't know that the past tense of "freeze" is irregular in form, so they use the general rule "add -ed" or it could be that some people know the irregular past tense form "froze" but that 'freezed' is more common in their particular sub-dialect of English. Who can say, really? The search engines don't tell us who wrote the word.

But, given the 14,000 finds we can definitely say that speakers definitely use 'freezed'; but, that's not to suggest it's something you want to write on an exam or a business letter, or say to your boss? :shock:

All the best,

Cas :D

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I did a Google search of the two terms.

Code:
frozen = 2,930,000
freezed =  8,640

I don't see that as a sign that freezed is catching on or that it will overtake frozen anytime soon.

Here's an interesting item I ran across:

Obviously, that person is not using the word as an alternative to frozen.

:)

Red5

Webmaster, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
How about...

My computer freezed up

:?:

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Red5 said:
How about...

My computer freezed up

You could say that, but why would you? That is, why would you say that insead of My computer froze up?

Red5

Staff member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I wouldn't ;-)

What about something like...

Water can be freezed at zero degrees celcius.

(Again, I would use frozen)

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Red5 said:
I wouldn't ;-)

What about something like...

Water can be freezed at zero degrees celcius.

(Again, I would use frozen)

I would say water freezes at zero degrees Celsius. I wouldn't say water can be frozen.

:wink:

shane

Member Type
Student or Learner
Casiopea said:
Red5 said:
How about...

My computer freezed up

I say that.

It's fun to dis the rules.

I don't think I could ever be so calm about such a thing. Where is all the f'ing & blinding? ;)

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Right- I have to go through a ritual swearing session before I can worry about irregualr verbs. ;-)

J

jwschang

Casiopea said:
Red5 said:
How about...

My computer freezed up

I say that.

It's fun to dis the rules.

It sounds (and looks) more jazzy than the staid old "froze". It's becoming like slang. Wouldn't use it with students, though. Part of the techy age?

Red5

Staff member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Yes - "My computer freezed up" is incorrect and I wouldn't use it in an exam of as part of homework. :-o

makaveli

Member Type
Other
"Freezed" to me sounds just horrible, and wrong in any context- slang, formal, Asian shortening, techie, super lazy or any other! It's awful. 8)

Mak.

J

jwschang

makaveli said:
"Freezed" to me sounds just horrible, and wrong in any context- slang, formal, Asian shortening, techie, super lazy or any other! It's awful. 8)
Mak.

We are all agreed we wouldn't use it, except in moments of utter despair (like when the computer freezed up) when we want to say something just horrible! :)

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
makaveli said:

Mak.

Cas trepidatiously types, :eek:nfire: that there fire ya'll got burning is a tad bit too close to the library.

makaveli

Member Type
Other
jwschang said:
makaveli said:
Mak.

We are all agreed we wouldn't use it, except in moments of utter despair (like when the computer freezed up) when we want to say something just horrible! :)

Nope, I think a hammer is far more suited in this situation!!!!!! :twisted:

M.

Casiopea

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
jwschang said:
Casiopea said:
freeze[d]ried :roll:

That's squeezing yourself into the middle of the queue! Your [d], that is! :wink:

What's the guy's name who ruled with a smile and an iron fist? You know, the velvet hammer guy? Was it Makaveli?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I thought it was the Prince. ;-)

Status