Home Country
Serbia
Current Location
Serbia
Do you pronounce letter "T" when you say:
It doesn't matter.
and
What are you doing?

And what about letter "G" in the second sentence?

When it comes to British English, of course.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
The letter "t" isn't silent in these words, but how it's pronounced dependa on who's speaking. In the second sentence, "ng" is a digraph. It's pronounced /ŋ/, not /ŋg/, by most speakers.

DontBanMe

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
In the second sentence, "ng" is a digraph. It's pronounced /ŋ/, not /ŋg/, by most speakers.
This is one of those rare occasions when I disagree with you, BC. In 'England' and 'English', as in 'finger', 'angry' and quite a few other words, we pronounce ng as /ŋg/.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
This is one of those rare occasions when I disagree with you, BC. In 'England' and 'English', as in 'finger', 'angry' and quite a few other words, we pronounce ng as /ŋg/.
Yes, of course. "In this sentence" was meant to narrow the scope of my statement, but I can see now that it wasn't clear enough. Thank you.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Yes, of course. "In this sentence" was meant to narrow the scope of my statement, but I can see now that it wasn't clear enough. Thank you.
I have just seen that I was careless. You were referring to "What are you doing?", and your answer was correct. I carelessly took the reference to be to 'When it comes to British English. of course'. I was wrong.

Sorry. :oops:

Hedwig

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
I'm a bit confused, 5jj and BC. When you say 'in this sentence' do you really mean sentence, or in final position, or something else? I've been taught to pronounce ng as /ŋ/ always in the -ing verb ending--in most words, actually. And that's what I've always heard, too. Would it be different in another sentence? Perhaps if doing were followed by a word beginning with a vowel?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I'm a bit confused, 5jj and BC. When you say 'in this sentence' do you really mean sentence, or in final position, or something else? I've been taught to pronounce ng as /ŋ/ always in the -ing verb ending--in most words, actually. And that's what I've always heard, too. Would it be different in another sentence? Perhaps if doing were followed by a word beginning with a vowel?
For most native speakers, ng in the -ing ending is always /ŋ/, even when it is followed by a vowel. For speakers of some dialects, it is always /ŋg/. This is true whenever ng comes at the end of a word, or of a stem.

It is usually /ŋg/ in the middle of the word, except as a stem-ending - compare' finger' ( /ŋg/) and 'singer' ( /ŋ/)

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
In these cases, the "t" and the "g" are soft sounds. You can hear them when you pronounce the words but they are not strongly pronounced.

Kathleen

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
In these cases, the "t" and the "g" are soft sounds. You can hear them when you pronounce the words but they are not strongly pronounced.
I don't know what you mean by 'soft sounds'.

The /t/ in 'matter' may be voiced in AmE (and may be glottalised in some dialects of BrE), but I don't see what makes it 'soft'.

We pronounce /g/ in the words we have been discussing always, and only, in the situations I have described. Whether or not it is pronounced depends on the word itself, and on the dialect of the speaker.

Last edited:

symaa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco
Hello,

I've the same question too, some English speakers do not pronounce the letter T when it comes at the end of the word like: not, that, but.....they pronounce it nearly as / /bʌə/ if i am not wrong.Is it right?

Thank you in advance;-).

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I've the same question too, some English speakers do not pronounce the letter T when it comes at the end of the word like: not, that, but.....they pronounce it nearly as / /bʌə/ if i am not wrong.Is it right?
What many speakers produce is more like a glottal stop than a /ə/ .

Un fortunately, we would need a whole course in phonetics rather than just one thread to consider how some phonemes are produced by native speakers in a variety of different situations.

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I don't know what you mean by 'soft sounds'.

The /t/ in 'matter' may be voiced in AmE (and may be glottalised in some dialects of BrE), but I don't see what makes it 'soft'.

We pronounce /g/ in the words we have been discussing always, and only, in the situations I have described. Whether or not it is pronounced depends on the word itself, and on the dialect of the speaker.

The person may be referring to the less marked plosive of the American -tt- in "better" and "matter" etc, as compared to RP's nice, strong /t/.

symaa

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Morocco
Current Location
Morocco
What many speakers produce is more like a glottal stop than a /ə/ .

Un fortunately, we would need a whole course in phonetics rather than just one thread to consider how some phonemes are produced by native speakers in a variety of different situations.

Ok, thank you very much.
So, you said that is more like a glottal stop, I've heard the pronunciation of it in Wikipedia, but it sounds strange to me.
Glottal stop - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thank you again.:up:

Status
Not open for further replies.