Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Hello,

Could you please check my sentences?

1) The girl who will visit here is my girlfriend. (It is correct)

2)Is it your girlfriend who will visit here? (It is correct)

My question is how can we make a sentence to learn whether the girl will come here or not? (with relative clause)

3) Could you fix my sentence i will write : The girl who will come here is your girlfriend?

(I want to learn that I know she is your girl friend but I want to ask if she will come or not.
How can we make it?

The second question is:

How many people who speak English are there?

I don't know how many people who speak English are there.

Are they correct?

The third question is:

Who is here? (It is correct)

I don't know who is here
or
i dont know who here is?

Which one?

Thanks

Last edited:

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
We rarely say "come here" unless it's in the imperative mood. We would just use "come" or "stay" or "visit" without a phrasal complement. But they're not incorrect. Just not the most natural sentences. Also, girlfriend is usually just one word.

lindadanca

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
My question is about the sentence structure.Please

J

J&K Tutoring

2) Is it your girlfriend who will visit here? (It is correct)

My question is how can we make a sentence to learn whether the girl will come here or not? (with relative clause)

3) Could you fix my sentence i will write : The girl who will come here is your girl friend?

(I want to learn that I know she is your girl friend but I want to ask if she will come or not.
How can we make it?

Sorry, your question is still a bit ambiguous. I think you mean that you already know that she is the girlfriend; you just want to know if she will come. In that case, you would simply say, 'Will your girlfriend come?' or 'Will your girlfriend be coming?' or 'Will your girlfriend come here?'

The second question is:

Are they correct?

They are grammatically correct, but ambiguous when standing alone. Not clear whether you want to know the total number of English speakers worldwide or just the number of English speakers in a certain place (There). Better to be specific about the place unless this information can be understood from the greater context. 'How many people are there worldwide who speak English?' or 'How many people worldwide speak English?' Or, if you are asking about a certain place, then you should mention that place: 'How many people in Spain speak English?'

In a spoken conversational context, it might go something like this: Jim- "I'm taking a new job in Spain." Joe- "Oh? How many people who speak English are there?"

The third question is:

I don't know who is here
or
i dont know who here is?

Which one?

Your first example is correct. Second is incorrect unless it's some very obscure situation, in which case the word 'here' would need to be capitalized. For example, I live in China, and one fairly common sirname is pronounced like the English word 'huh' but it's often written as 'Her', so one might encounter the sentence, "I don't know who Her is." From this, one might imagine a person with the name 'Here', and then your second example could be correct if 'Here' is capitalized. BTW, If you think a name Here is too unlikely, let will tell you I have a young friend who took the English name of Carrot, and I once heard about a young woman with the name Total Ho!

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello,

Could you please check my sentences?

2) Is it your girlfriend who will visit here? (It is correct)

3) Could you fix my sentence i will write : The girl who will come here is your girlfriend?

([STRIKE]I want to learn that[/STRIKE] I know she is your girl friend but I want to ask if she will come or not.
How can we [STRIKE]make[/STRIKE] construct[STRIKE] it[/STRIKE] this question?

If you already know that the person is the girlfriend but you just want to know if she will come or not, then just ask "Is your girlfriend coming?"
If you're not sure if she's the girlfriend, then you would ask "Is the girl who's coming here your girlfriend?"

The second question is:

We would normally construct it as "How many people are there who speak English?" or "How many English speakers are there?"

I don't know how many people there are who speak English.
I don't know how many people speak English.

Are they correct?

The third question is:

I don't know who is here = Correct.
or
I dont know who here is = Incorrect

Which one?

Thanks

See above. Please try to only use one (or maybe two) colours in your posts. Many of the teachers like to add their comments and corrections in a different colour and it's very difficult to keep track of who typed what. It's easiest if you type all your questions in black but underline or italicise the parts you wish to draw attention to. That way, we can respond by typing in another colour and it will be clear who wrote which bits.

lindadanca

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I think I have found how to construct the question which I asked.

Will the girl who is your girlfriend come here?

I hope that is correct :)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic

It's not a very natural construction.

You have been give several posiblities already. I think it is unlikely that you will come up with a more natural one containing 'who'.

White Hat

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation

Well, we can say "Will your girlfriend come?" or "Is your girlfriend coming?", can't we?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

It's not incorrect, but why would you want to use it? A girlfriend by definition is a girl, so something like Bennevis' examples works much better. Your sentence is fine grammatically, but it's unnatural- you could possibly create a context for it, but without creating such a context, the sentence does not work IMO..

lindadanca

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
I just want to use English in different ways.

Thanks for answering... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.