Academic
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Seventeenth-Century European Economic Growth

In the late sixteenth century and into the seventeenth, Europe continued the growth that had lifted it out of the relatively less prosperous medieval period (from the mid 400s to the late 1400s). Among the key factors behind this growth were increased agricultural productivity and an expansion of trade.

1, According to the paragraph 1, what is true of Europe during the medieval period?
A Agricultural productivity declined
B, There was relatively little economic growth
C The general level of prosperity declined
D Foreign trade began to play an important role in the economy.

I chose C but the answer is B. Can you explain me why?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Seventeenth-Century European Economic Growth

In the late sixteenth century and into the seventeenth, Europe continued the growth that had lifted it out of the relatively less prosperous medieval period (from the mid 400s to the late 1400s). Among the key factors behind this growth were increased agricultural productivity and an expansion of trade.

1, According to the paragraph 1, what is true of Europe during the medieval period?
A Agricultural productivity declined
B, There was relatively little economic growth
C The general level of prosperity declined
D Foreign trade began to play an important role in the economy.

I chose C but the answer is B. Can you explain me why?
C is wrong. You cannot tell whether "the general level of prosperity declined" in the Middle Ages unless you know what it was like prior to 400AD. They don't tell you that.
On the other hand, they do tell you that in the seventeenth century there was an increase in productivity and that the mediaeval period was less prosperous, so B should be immediately obvious.

Status
Not open for further replies.